Quorn Business and Industry
Up until the mid nineteen century most
industry in the village was cottage based, primarily frame-work knitting.
During the 1820s two hosiery factories were established and by the
middle of the century Quorn had a sock and glove manufacturer (Websters)
and a twist lace, silk net and cotton tatting factory (Balms), located
where the Church Rooms are now. Wrights Mill, elastic webbing manufacturers,
arrived in the village in 1860. By 1911 Wrights employed over 30%
of the working population of Quorn and they are still present in the
In addition to the factories, this section also contains information
about the quarry, the railway and shops, all of which had an impact
on village life.
Total: 268 artefacts returned over 27 pages
| Tommy Allen 1911 to 1996|
Tommy Allen was born in 1911 and lived in Quorn all his life. He followed his father by ...... cont.
| High Street, Quorn in the 1950s|
Two photographs of High Street, Quorn, looking towards Quorn Cross, in the 1950s, showing ...... cont.
| William Wilders – Carrier of Quorn|
William Wilders was born in Quorn in 1838 and died in 1893. We are lucky to have this ...... cont.
| Quorn Building Society|
Quorn Building Society, or as it was originally known, the Quorndon and Neighbourhood ...... cont.
| Wrights Factory Rules, 1946|
The poster below hung in Wrights factory on Leicester Road for many years. It dates back ...... cont.
| Soar Valley News, April 1977|
The Soar Valley News was a four page, black and white community newspaper/newsletter type ...... cont.
| Deer roaming around the White Horse in Quorn! 1988|
During road works near the White Horse pub in Quorn in 1988, ancient deer bones were ...... cont.
| Howlett’s Bus Company, Quorn|
This is a Bedford OWB Duple bus, registration number DAY137, built during WW2. Howlett’s ...... cont.
| Vena Grain, 1895 to 1989. Oral history interview from 1985|
Vena Grain was born in Leicester on 21st February 1895, and the family moved to Quorn in ...... cont.
| The Mill House Inn, Leicester Road, Quorn, early 1900s|
To the left of the archway is the Mill House Inn, which at this time was run by Silas ...... cont.