Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Wrights Directory 1892 – Quorn entries

Trade directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorn section from Wrights directory for Leicestershire for 1892.

“Quorn (formerly called Quorndon) is a large village, township, and a suburb of Loughborough, in the Parish and Union of Barrow, on the West side of the Soar, and consists of one long main street, on the Leicester and Loughborough turnpike, and three other good streets branching from it. It is 8 ½ miles N from Leicester, 2 ½ SSE from Loughborough, 1 ½ NNW from Mountsorrel and 1 W from the Midland station, at Barrow. It is in the Loughborough division, West Goscote hundred, rural deanery of East Akeley, Loughborough County Court district and division of Quorn for the County Council. The river Soar intersects the eastern portion of the parish, which is comparatively flat, but there are some excellent drives and walks in the vicinity, from which good views of the Charnwood hills are obtained. Many of the inhabitants are employed in framework-knitting, and a large elastic web factory employs a considerable number of hands. The Earl of Lanesborough is Lord of the Manor, but a great part of the land belongs to W E Farnham, Esq, Mrs Herrick, Mr E Warner and some smaller freeholders. Mr Farnham resides at Quorndon House which is situated to the south of the village, on the northern declivity of the lofty range of hills extending from Charnwood Forest to Mountsorrel. The Hall, which is the residence of Mr Edward Warner, is on the north east. It formerly belonged to Mr H Meynell, the celebrated sportsman, and was occupied in the season by the Masters of the Quorn Hunt. There are extensive kennels near the Hall. The chapelry of Quorndon was enclosed and the tithes commuted in 1765. St Bartholomew’s Church is an ancient Early English structure, with Decorated additions, comprising chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch and massive embattled tower with eight bells and clock. The Farnham Chapel contains several memorials of the family; the great ancestor, Sir Robert de Farnham, came to England with William the Conqueror. There is a fine alabaster altar tomb to the memory of Mr John Farnham who died 1587. The north aisle was enlarged 29 years ago, at a cost of £700, and a new vicarage house, in the Elizabethan style, was built in 1837, at a cost of £1200. The church was thoroughly repaired and restored under the direction of Mr E. Christian, in 1865-6, at a cost of over £2000. Several stained memorial windows have been put in, three of which are by Wailes & Son of Newcastle. Two additional bells were placed in the tower in 1886 at the cost of Mr Farnham, and the same gentleman also expended £500 in the purchase of a new organ, built by Mr S Taylor, of Leicester. During the year 1887 the church was extensively renovated and enriched at the expense of over £500, defrayed by Mr Farnham. All the monuments and slabs were re-cut or restored, the chapel newly floored, and oak panelling introduced, the work being well executed by Mr Wilmot, sculptor of Leicester. In 1890 a handsome fresco painting was placed on the wall in the rear of the font, at the cost of Mr F Oldacre, of Epsom; also a two-light stained window in the south chapel, to the memory of the late vicar, the cost of which was defrayed by subscription. The Registers dates from 1576. By an order of Council, dated July 30th, 1868, Quorn was separated from the vicarage of Barrow, and constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish. The living is a vicarage of the yearly value of £92, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The General Baptist Chapel was built in 1870, and has 700 sittings and large Sunday school. The Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1822, was much improved in 1861, at a cost of £170, a new front being erected and new pews and pulpit being provided. There are also a Primitive Methodist and a Roman Catholic Chapel, several Friendly Societies, lodges of Odd Fellows, a Building Society, and an Allotment Society, by which plots of 600 yards each are let to the poor at small rents.
The town is governed by a Local Board consisting of nine members, one third of whom retire annually, but are eligible for re-election. The Gas Works were established in 1853, at a cost of £3300, raised in £5 shares, and now having a capital of £5000. Quorn, Mountsorrel and Barrow are supplied from these works, and the charge to small consumers is 4/10d [24p] per 1000 feet, rather lower to large consumers. Mr J Camm is the manager; and Mr W J Woolley, solicitor (Loughborough), the secretary. The place is now supplied with water by the Leicester Corporation, for which the Local Board is charged at the rate of 4d per 1000 gallons. There is a Village Hall situate on the main road, the foundation stone of which was laid 29th June, 1889, and costing, including the out-offices, about £1500. It contains a capital room (holding 500), suitable for lectures and entertainments; the Local Board hold their meetings here. Secretary, Mr G White, Rose Cottage, Quorn. A Reading Room and Library were started in 1886 by Messrs M Wright and Sons. The National School was built in 1835, and an Infant School in 1837, by the trustees of the undermentioned charity estate, but they are mainly supported by subscriptions and the pupils’ fees. An estate, given by various donors has been voted in trust from an early period, for the support of a minister and schoolmaster, the reparation of the bridges, and relief of the poor. It now produces about £120 a year. The trustees pay £12 to the vicar, £35 towards the support of the schools, the remainder in coals, clothing &c to the poor, and the reparation of bridges and buildings on the charity estate. In 1691, Mrs Margaret Kaye left a yearly rent charge of 30s for the poor out of her estate, now belonging to Mr Farnham, and it is distributed in bread on Good Friday. The dividends of £220.7s.9d three per cent stock, purchased with £200, left by the Rev John Prior in 1830 are also distributed in bread in January. In 1827, George Hyde left £1000 for the poor; but it was not paid till 1838, when it was recovered, with arrears of interest, after a Chancery suit. The proceeds are distributed yearly among the poor of Quorndon, In 1878 Miss Farnham devised a sum of £500, the interest of which is distributed in sums of 5s and upwards to poor persons of Quorn, who have not received parish relief for two years. In 1890 the late Mr Ansted left a sum which produces £5 13s yearly, and is distributed to the poor in bacon and groceries. Acreage of the township, 2120; rateable value £9115 2s; population about 1800.”

St Bartholomew’s Church - Services on Sunday at 11 and 6-30. Communion first Sunday in month at mid-day, other Sundays at 8 am. Vicar, Rev R C Faithfull MA ; Wardens Messrs W E B Farnham and William Thornton; Organist, Mr C Taylor (Leicester); Choirmaster Mr John Taylor. Hymns Ancient and Modern.

Chapels – Baptist: Services, Sunday 10-30 and 6, Thursday 7-30; Stewards, Messrs Smith and Parkinson. Wesleyan: 10-30 and 6; Steward Mr Thomas Pilkington. Primitive: 2-30 and 6; Steward Mr R Moyses. Methodist Free Church: 2-30 and 6; Steward Mr John Judd.

Local Board – Messrs J D Cradock (chairman), J Tacey, J J Bolesworth, Thos North, J Darker, W Richardson, James Wright, Jabez Joseph Callis and W E J Farnham.
Clerk, Mr George White; Nuisance Inspector Herbert Herrod (Barrow); Collector Mr James Camm

Post, Money Order and Telegraph Office at Mr Thomas North’s, Leicester Road. Letters arrive from Loughborough at 6.30 and 1.30; box cleared at 11.30 am and 6.30 pm, Sundays at 1.20.

Carriers –
Williams Heaps to Loughborough Wednesday
Mrs Elizabeth Lovett to Loughborough daily
Charles Marson to Leicester, Mon, Wed and Sat.
William Wilders to Loughborough Mon, Tue, Thur and Sat
John York to Loughborough Mon, Wed, Thur and Sat. To Leicester Tue and Fri

Ackroyd Mr William -
Adams Charles - School master National School
Antill John - Cottager and cowkeeper
Backhouse William Henry - Registered plumber, glazier and gasfitter, sanitary and hot water engineer
Barnett Mrs Hannah - Beer house keeper, Blacksmith's Arms
Bates Thomas - Wheelwright
Bates William - Wheelwright
Bolesworth James John - Farmer and grazier, Cheveney house
Bramley Mrs Mary - Dressmaker
Brown Joseph - Agent Prudential
Callis Jabez Joseph - Grocer, news agent and beer retailer
Camm James - Rate collector, registrar of births, deaths & marriages for sub-district of Barrow, secretary to Building Society and manager of Gas Works
Camm John - Farmer, grazier and miller, Quorn Mill
Camm Joseph - Superintendent registrar
Chapman Charles - Farmer and grazier
Chapman George - Farmer Church hill cottage
Chapman Thomas - Beer house keeper, Apple Tree
Clarke Charles - Grocer and shopkeeper
Cook John Henry - Grocer, shopkeeper and beer retailer
Cooke George - Farm bailiff to Mr WEB Farnham
Cooper Mr William -
Corlett Miss Isabella - School mistress National School
Cradock John Davys - Quorn Court
Cragg Thomas - Saddler
Cross Charles - Farmer and grazier Quorn fields
Cuffling James - Coal and lime merchant
Cuffling Mrs Ann -
Dalby Joseph - Farmer, grazier, grocer and shopkeeper
Dalby Joseph - Joiner, builder and cabinet maker
Darker John - Farmer and grazier Westfield Farm
Darker Solomon - Registrar of births and deaths for the sub-district of Quorn, cottager and cowkeeper
Davis Mrs Kate - Plumber and gas fitter
Disney James - Nail maker
Disney James - Secretary of Co-operative Provident society
Disney John - Bootmaker
Egan Mrs Fanny - Dressmaker
Facer Frank - Grocer, shopkeeper and proprietor Havelock Coffee House
Facer Henry - Joiner, builder and newsagent etc
Faithfull Rev Robert Colquhoun MA - Vicarage
Farnham Mr William Edward Basil - Quorn house
Fewkes Robert William - Painter
Firr Tom - Huntsman, the kennels
Fletcher John - Bag hosier
Gamble Thomas - Farmer, grazier and coal dealer
Hack David Smith - Bootmaker
Hack Miss Hannah Mary - Dressmaker and milliner
Harris Samuel - Surgeon
Hawker Miss Elizabeth Henrietta - The Cottage
Hayward John Alfred Le Mesurier - Quorn place
Heaps William - Beer house keeper, Three Crowns, cottager, cowkeeper and carrier
Hind Rev John Henry MA - Retired Church of England
Hole Mr Henry Edward - Quorn Lodge
Holmes George - Licenced victualler, Bull's Head
Holmes Thomas - Blacksmith
Holmes Thomas - Farm manager for William Simpson and at Mountsorrel
Horspool Joseph - Bricklayer
Hurst Miss Kate - School mistress National School
Huskinson Frederick - Beer house keeper, Mill House
Inglesant Mr William Harris - Bleak house
Inglesant Mrs Mary Ann -
Jacques Miss Harriet - School mistress (private)
Johnson John - Beer house keeper, Royal Oak
Kinch Thomas - Beer house keeper, King William IVth
King William - Grocer and shopkeeper
Kirby Thomas - pc
Lane Mrs Catherine -
Lovett Mrs Elizabeth - Carrier
Lucas Thomas - Jeweller and watchmaker
Martin Henry - Cottager and cowkeeper
Martin Israel - Draper
Martin Miss Theresa - Dressmaker
Martin Mrs Maria - Milliner
Meakin Wilfred Johnson - solicitor, New villa
Mee John - Working foreman at gas works
Moss John - Farmer, grazier and butcher (at L'boro)
Moyses Rowland - Farmer and grazier
North Thomas - Grocer, tallow chandler & postmaster
Paget William - Grocer and shopkeeper
Painter Mr Joseph -
Payne Miss Elizabeth - Dressmaker
Pilkington Mrs Sophia - Grocer and shopkeeper
Priestley George - General dealer, grocer and shopkeeper
Quorn Co-operative & Provident Society - Draper and groceries
Richardson William - Butcher and farmer
Rue Mrs Ann - Grocer and shopkeeper
Rumsby James - Licenced victualler, White Hart and maltster
Sanders John - Joiner, builder, timber merchant and saw mill proprieter
Saunt Alfred - Licenced victualler, White Horse
Scott Thomas - Grocer, shopkeeper and chimney sweep
Sharp John - Bootmaker
Simpson William - Farmer
Smith Misses Maria and Lucy -
Smith Mr Edwin - Westfield House
Squire Archibald - Gardener at The Hall
Stephens Richard Joseph - Architect
Stubbs Mrs -
Super Mrs Jemima - Vine House
Swain Miss Annie - Dressmaker
Swain William Yalding - Painter and gravestone cutter
Swinfield John William - Bootmaker
Tacey Joseph - Verandah Cottage
Thompson Mr Richard -
Thornton Mrs Harriet - Dressmaker
Thornton William - Tailor and draper
Unitt James Arthur - Surgeon
Voss George - Grocer and shopkeeper
Waddington Mrs Emma - Baker
Ward John - Farmer, grazier and hay & straw dealer
Warner (Captain) Edward - Master Quorn hounds, Quorn hall
Warner Edward Esq JP - of Cartwright & Warner (manufacturers Loughborough), Quorn Hall
Webster Mrs Charlotte - Baker
Webster William - Cab proprietor, grocer and baker
White George - Conservative club secretary, Quorn Village Hall Co Ltd secretary, clerk to Local Board
White John - Surveyor
Wilders William - Greengrocer
Wilkinson Stephen - Grocer and shopkeeper
Wisehall John Buxton - Manager of Co-operative Provident society
Wright James - of M Wright & Sons elastic web manufacturers
Wright Mrs Catherine - Mill house
Wright Philip - of M Wright & Sons elastic web manufacturers
Wright William - of M Wright & Sons elastic web manufacturers, home Forest Rd L'boro

   
 Submitted on: 2012-12-03
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 1733
 
Bookmark with:
Delicious Digg Facebook Reddit StumbleUpon

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view featured item
 view featured item
 view featured item
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 leave a comment

Seeking Information
Post your information request onto our notebook.

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page
 login / register