Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Kellys Directory 1891 – Quorndon entries

Directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorndon section from one of the famous Kellys directories, ie for Leicestershire for 1891.

“QUORN (formerly called QUORNDON) is a township and civil parish formed out of Barrow-upon-Soar in 1868, on the west side of the navigable river Soar, on the road from Leicester to Loughborough, a mile south-west from Barrow-upon-Soar station on the main line of the Midland railway, 2 ½ miles south-east from Loughborough, 8 ½ north from Leicester and 106 ½ from London. in the Mid division of the county, West Goscote hundred, Loughborough petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of East Akeley, archdeaconry of Leicester and diocese of Peterborough. The township is governed by a Local Board of nine members. The village is lighted with gas by the Quorndon and Mountsorrel Gas, Coke and Coal Company from works in this parish, which also supply Barrow on Soar. Water is supplied by the Corporation of Leicester from temporary works in the parish of Woodhouse. The church of St. Bartholomew is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south or Farnham chapel, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells, five cast in 1773, one in 1777 and two in 1886: the chancel windows are stained: the east window being a memorial to Charlotte Elizabeth, the only daughter of Edward Warner esq. of Quorn Hall and another, erected by subscription, is a memorial to the Rev Robert Stammers MA, 55 years vicar of the parish (1832-1888); there are also stained windows in the aisles and the north doorway retains a good Norman arch: in the Farnham Chapel is a beautifully sculptured monument, erected by Sarah (Farnham), the late Countess of Denbigh, 1817, to several members of the Farnham family ; there are also two large marble-framed brasses with arms and inscriptions to Edward Farnham Esq of Quorndon, d 3 June 1775, and Easter (Lake), his wife, d April 1767; Ann, their daughter, wife of Noah Bolaine esq of Canterbury, and other children: in the chapel is a memorial window to Edward Basil Farnham esq of Quorndon MP, JP, DL, d 1879, and their daughter Sarah Ann: here are also several ancient tombstones, the inscriptions on which are now illegible: in 1887 Mrs Farnham presented an organ, built at a cost of upwards of £600: there are 400 sittings, 109 being free. The registers date from 1576. Thomas Walton is mentioned in 1645 as “intending minister”. The parish of Quorndon was separated for ecclesiastical purposes from Barrow in 1757, the vicar of Barrow continuing to claim the freehold in the churchyard. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £106, including 61 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since 1888 by the Rev Robert Colquhoun Faithfull MA of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here are Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Free Methodist chapels. Charities – Hyde’s of about £28 yearly is for clothing; the Town Lands or Unknown Donors’ produces about £150 and Thomas Rawlin’s about £70; Prior’s of about £6 12s a year is given in bread on New Year’s Day; Kay’s of 30s yearly is distributed amongst 30 poor persons attending church on that day; Miss Farnham’s of £15 and Ansted’s of £5 13s are distributed in groceries. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of elastic web. Here are the kennels and stables of the celebrated Quorn Hunt, of which Capt William P Warner, Quorn Hall is master; Melton Mowbray, Leicester and Loughborough are convenient places for hunting visitors. Quorn House, the seat of William Edward John Basil Farnham esq. MA JP DL is situated to the south of the village. Quorn Hall, the seat of Edward Warner esq. J.P. is on the north-east. The Earl of Lanesborough is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are William Edward John Basil Farnham esq., Mrs. Perry Herrick of Beaumanor Park and Edward Warner esq. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,990 acres; rateable value, £9,083; the population in 1881 was 1,816.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Herbert

Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office, Savings Bank & Insurance & Annuity Office. - Thomas North, postmaster. Letters are received through Loughborough at 1.30 am and 7 am; dispatched thereto at 11.30 am & 6.30 pm; dispatched Sunday at 1.25 pm

WALL LETTER BOXES – Leicester Road, cleared at 11.25 am and 6.25 pm; Sunday 1.20pm. Freehold Street cleared at 11.15am and 6.15pm; Sunday 1.0 pm. Loughborough Road cleared at 11.35am and 6.35 pm; Sunday 1.30 pm.

LOCAL BOARD
Offices, the Village Hall. Board day, 1st Tuesday in month
Clerk, George White
Treasurer, E Warner, Parrs Bank, Loughborough
Medical Officer of Health, Herbert Skipworth, Mountsorrel.
Surveyor & Inspector of Nuisances, Herbert Herrod, Barrow
Collector, James Camm
National School (mixed and infants), for about 350 children
Average attendance, 75 boys, 75 girls & 200 infants;
Charles Adams, master; Isabella Corlett infants’ mistress

CARRIERS TO :-
LOUGHBOROUGH – Charles Lovitt, daily; William Heaps Thurs and Sat
LEICESTER – Crooks and Son daily and York Tues and Fri returning same days

Backhouse Henry - Plumber
Barnett Mrs Hannah - Farmer and beer retailer
Bates George Newport - Boot and shoe maker
Bates Thomas - Wheelwright
Bolesworth James - Farmer, Chaveney House
Bradnock Mrs Ann - Shopkeeper
Brown Oliver Stanley - Private resident, Wood View
Cadell Miss - Private resident
Callis Jabez Joseph - Grocer and beer retailer
Camm James - Registrar of marriages, Barrow on Soar union and registrar of births & deaths, Barrow sub-district, collector to Local Board, manager, manager of Quorndon & Mountsorrel Gas, Coke & Coal Company Quorndon & Mountsorrel Gas Co & insurance agent
Camm John - Miller (water), Quorn Mill
Camm Joseph - Superintendent registrar, Barrow union
Chapman George - Farmer
Chapman Thomas - Beer retailer
Cook John - Beer retailer and shopkeeper
Cooke George - Steward to WEB Farnham
Cradock John Davys - Private resident, Quorn Court
Cragg Thomas - Saddler
Cross Charles - Farmer
Cuffling James - Coal merchant, The Wharf
Dalby Joseph - Joiner and shopkeeper
Darker John - Farmer
Darker Solomon - Registrar of births & deaths Quorn sub-district
Davis Kate and son - glaziers
Dexter George - Cattle dealer
Disney James - Nailmaker
Disney John - Shoemaker
Facer Frank - Coffee house
Facer Henry - Newsagent
Faithfull Rev Robert Colquhoun MA - Vicarage
Farnham William Edward John Basil MA JP DL - Quorn House
Fewkes Benjamin - Bricklayer
Hack David Smith - Boot and shoe maker
Hack Hannah Mary Miss - Milliner and dressmaker
Harris Samuel - Surgeon
Hawker Miss - Private resident
Hayward John Alfred Le Mesurier - Quorn Place
Heaps William - Publican Three Crowns
Hind Rev John Henry MA - Private resident
Hole Henry Edward - Quorn Lodge
Holmes George - Publican Bull's Head
Holmes John Thomas - Blacksmith
Horspool Joseph - Builder etc
Huskinson Frederick - Beer retailer
Inglesent William - Private resident
Jacques Miss Emma - Ladies school
Johnson John - Beer retailer
Kinch Thomas - Publican King William IVth
Lucas Thomas - Watch and clockmaker and jeweller
Martin Israel - Bricklayer and draper
Meakin Wilfred Johnson - Private resident
Moss John - Farmer, Quorn Fields
Moyses Rowland - Farmer
North Thomas - Grocer and post office
Paget William - Shopkeeper
Painter Joseph - Private resident
Parker John - Butcher and beer retailer
Pepper Thomas - Coal dealer
Priestley George - Lamp and oil dealer
Richardson William - Butcher
Rumsby James - Publican White Hart
Sanders John - Saw mills
Sault Alfred - Publican White Horse, commercial inn and posting house
Sharp John - Bootmaker
Simpson William - Butcher
Smith Edwin - Private resident
Spencer Joseph - Private resident
Supper Miss - Private resident
Swain William Yalding - Mediaeval and general decorator, painter, gilder, grainer and sign writer; monumental engraving in the higest style of art
Swinfield John William - Boot and shoe maker
Tacey Joseph - Verandah Cottage
Thompson Richard - Private resident
Thornton William - Tailor and draper
Unitt James Arthur LRCP Edin - Surgeon
Voss George - Confectioner
Waddington Mrs Emma - Baker
Ward John - Farmer and hay and straw dealer
Warner Capt William P - Quorn Hall
Warner Edward Esq JP - Quorn Hall
Webster Mrs Charlotte - Baker
Webster William - Grocer
White George - Secretary of Conservative Club, secretary of Village Hall, clerk to Local Board
Wilkinson Stephen - Shopkeeper
Wisehall John Buxton - Manager of Co-operative Stores
Woolerton Spreckley - Private resident
Wright & Sons - Elastic web manufacturers, Bridge mill
Wright James - Private resident
Wright Mrs - Private resident
Wright Phillip - Private resident

   
 Submitted on: 2012-11-23
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 1732
 
Bookmark with:
Delicious Digg Facebook Reddit StumbleUpon

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view featured item
 view featured item
 view featured item
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 leave a comment

Seeking Information
Post your information request onto our notebook.

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page
 login / register