Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Wrights Directory 1889/90 – Quorndon entries

Trade directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorndon section from Wrights directory for Leicestershire for 1889/90.

“Quorndon (sometimes called Quorn) is a large village, township, and a suburb of Loughborough, in the Parish and Union of Barrow, on the West side of the Soar, and consists of one long main street, on the Leicester and Loughborough turnpike, and three other good streets branching from it. It is 8 ½ miles N from Leicester, 2 ½ SSE from Loughborough, 1 ½ NNW from Mountsorrel and 1 W from the Midland station, at Barrow. It is in the Loughborough division, West Goscote hundred, rural deanery of East Akeley, Loughborough County Court district and division of Quorndon for the County Council. The river Soar intersects the eastern portion of the parish, which is comparatively flat, but there are some excellent drives and walks in the vicinity, from which good views of the Charnwood hills are obtained. Many of the inhabitants are employed in framework-knitting, and a large elastic web factory employs a considerable number of hands. The Earl of Lanesborough is Lord of the Manor, but a great part of the land belongs to W E Farnham, Esq, Mrs Herrick, Mr E Warner and some smaller freeholders. Mr Farnham resides at Quorndon House which is situated to the south of the village, on the northern declivity of the lofty range of hills extending from Charnwood Forest to Mountsorrel. The Hall, which is the residence of Mr Edward Warner, is on the north east. It formerly belonged to Mr H Meynell, the celebrated sportsman, and was occupied in the season by the Masters of the Quorn Hunt. There are extensive kennels near the Hall. The chapelry of Quorndon was enclosed and the tithes commuted in 1765. St Bartholomew’s Church is an ancient Early English structure, with Decorated additions, comprising chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch and massive embattled tower with eight bells and clock. The Farnham Chapel contains several memorials of the family; the great ancestor, Sir Robert de Farnham, came to England with William the Conqueror. There is a fine alabaster altar tomb to the memory of Mr John Farnham who died 1587. The north aisle was enlarged 27 years ago, at a cost of £700, and a new vicarage house, in the Elizabethan style, was built in 1837, at a cost of £1200. The church was thoroughly repaired and restored under the direction of Mr E. Christian, in 1865-6, at a cost of over £2000. Several stained memorial windows have been put in, three of which are by Wailes & Son of Newcastle. Two additional bells were placed in the tower in 1886 at the cost of Mr Farnham, and the same gentleman also expended £500 in the purchase of a new organ, built by Mr S Taylor, of Leicester. During the year 1887 the church was extensively renovated and enriched at the expense of over £500, defrayed by Mr Farnham. All the monuments and slabs were re-cut or restored, the chapel newly floored, and oak panelling introduced, the work being well executed by Mr Wilmot, sculptor of Leicester. The Register dates from 1576. By an order of Council, dated July 30, 1868, Quorndon was separated from the vicarage of Barrow, and constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish. The living is a vicarage of the yearly value of £92, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The General Baptist Chapel was built in 1770, and has 700 sittings and large Sunday school. The Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1822, was much improved in 1861, at a cost of £170, a new front being erected and new pews and pulpit being provided. There are also a Primitive Methodist and a Roman Catholic Chapel, several Friendly Societies, lodges of Odd Fellows, a Building Society, and an Allotment Society, by which plots of 600 yards each are let to the poor at small rents.
The town is governed by a Local Board consisting of nine members, one third of whom retire annually, but are eligible for re-election. The Gas Works were established in 1853, at a cost of £3300, raised in £5 shares, and now having a capital of £5000. Quorndon, Mountsorrel and Barrow are supplied from these works, and the charge to small customers is 4/7d [23p] per 1000 feet, rather lower to large consumers. Mr J Camm is the manager; and Mr W J Woolley, solicitor(Loughborough), the secretary. A Reading Room and Library were started in 1886 by Messrs M Wright and Sons. The National School was built in 1835, and an Infant School in 1837, by the trustees of the under-mentioned charity estate, but they are mainly supported by donations and the pupils’ fees. An estate, given by various donors has been voted in trust from an early period, for the support of a minister and schoolmaster, the reparation of the bridges, and relief of the poor. It now produces about £120 a year. The trustees pay £12 to the vicar, £35 towards the support of the schools, the remainder in coals, clothing &c to the poor, and the reparation of bridges and buildings on the charity estate. In 1691, Mrs Margaret Kaye left a yearly rent charge of 30s for the poor out of her estate, now belonging to Mr Farnham, and it is distributed in bread on Good Friday. The dividends of £220.7s.9d three per cent stock, purchased with £200, left by the Rev John Prior in 1830 are also distributed in bread in January. In 1827, George Hyde left £1000 for the poor; but it was not paid till 1838, when it was recovered, with arrears of interest, after a Chancery suit. The proceeds are distributed yearly among the poor of Quorndon, In 1878 Miss Farnham devised a sum of £500, the interest of which is distributed in sums of 5s and upwards to poor persons of Quorndon who have not received parish relief for two years. Acreage of the township, 2120; rateable value £9022 2s; population in 1881, 1816.”

St Bartholomew’s Church - Services on Sunday at 11 and 6-30. Communion first Sunday in month at mid-day. Vicar, Rev R C Faithfull MA ; Warden Mr S Woolerton; Organist, Mr C Taylor (Leicester); Choirmaster Mr John Taylor. Hymns Ancient and Modern.

Chapels – Baptist: Services, Sunday 10-30 and 6, Wednesday 7-30; Stewards, Messrs Smith and Parkinson. Wesleyan: 10-30 and 6; Steward Mr Thomas Pilkington. Primitive: 2-30 and 6; Steward Mr R Moyses. Methodist Free Church: 2-30 and 6; Steward Mr John Judd.

Local Board – Messrs J D Cradock (chairman), J Tacey, J J Bolesworth, Thos North, J Darker, W Richardson, James Wright, John Ward and W E J Farnham.
Clerk, Mr George White; Nuisance Inspector Herbert Herrod (Barrow); Collector Mr James Camm

Post, Money Order and Telegraph Office at Mr Thomas North’s, Leicester Road. Letters arrive from Loughborough at 7 and 1.30; box cleared at 10.30 am and 6.30 pm, Sundays at 1.20.

Carriers –
Williams Heaps to Loughborough daily
Mrs Elizabeth Lovett to Loughborough daily
Charles Marson to Leicester, Mon, Wed and Sat.
William Wilders to Loughborough Mon, Tue, Thur and Sat
John York to Loughborough Mon, Wed, Thur and Sat. To Leicester Tu and Fri

Ackroyd Mr William -
Antill John - Cottager and cowkeeper
Backhouse William Henry - Registered plumber, glazier and gasfitter, sanitary and hot water engineer
Barnett Mrs Hannah - Beerhouse keeper Blacksmith's Arms
Bates Thomas - Wheelwright
Bates William - Wheelwright
Bolesworth James John - Farmer and grazier, Chaveney House
Bramley Mrs Mary - Dressmaker
Burrows Mrs Ann - Dressmaker
Callis Jabez Joseph - Grocer, news agent and beer retailer
Camm James - Rate collector, registrar of births, deaths & marriages for sub-district of Barrow, secretary to Building Society and manager of Gas Works
Camm John - Farmer, grazier and miller, Quorn Mill
Camm Joseph - Manager & secretary, Quorndon & Mountsorrel Gas Co
Camm Joseph - Superintendent registrar
Chadburn Mrs Sarah - Grocer
Chapman George - Farmer and grazier
Chapman Mr George - Church Hill cottage
Chapman Thomas - Beerhouse keeper Apple Tree
Clark Frederick - Grocer
Cooke George - Farm bailiff to Mr WEB Farnham
Cooke George - Quorn Meat Stores, manager
Cooper Mr William -
Corlett Miss Isabella - Mistress National School
Cradock John Davys - of Cradock & Webb solicitors, Loughborough. Quorn Court
Cragg Thomas - Saddler
Crofton Edward Regan MD - Physician and surgeon, Quorn Court
Cross Charles - Farmer and grazier, Quorn Fields
Cuffling Mrs Ann - Saddler
Dalby Joseph - Farmer, grazier and shopkeeper
Dalby Joseph - Grocer and beer retailer
Dalby Joseph - Joiner, builder and cabinet maker
Darker John - Farmer and grazier, Westfield Farm
Darker Solomon - Cottager and cowkeeper
Darker Solomon - Grocer, proprietor of Havelock Coffee house and registrar of births and deaths for sub-district of Quorndon
Davis Mrs Kate - Plumber and gas fitter
Dawson Mrs Mary Ann -
Dexter George - Cattle dealer
Disney James - Nailmaker and newsagent
Disney James - Secretary of Quorn Co-operative Provident Society
Disney John - Bootmaker
Egan Mrs Fanny - Dressmaker
Facer Henry - Joiner, builder and newsagent etc
Faithfull Rev Robert C MA - Vicarage
Farnham Mr William Edward Basil - Quorn House
Fewkes Benjamin - Bricklayer
Fewkes Robert William - Painter
Firr Tom - Huntsman, the kennels
Fletcher John - Bag hosier
Foster William pc -
Gamble Thomas - Farmer, grazier and coal dealer
Hack David Smith - Bootmaker
Hack Miss Hannah Mary - Dressmaker and milliner
Hall Thomas - Farmer, grazier and horse dealer Brook House
Harris Samuel - Surgeon
Hawker Miss Elizabeth Henrietta - The Cottage
Heaps William - Carrier, cttager, cowkeeper, beerhouse keeper Three Crowns
Hind Rev John MA - Retired Church of England
Hole Mr Henry Edward - Quorn Lodge
Holmes George - Licenced Victualler Bulls Head
Holmes Thomas - Blacksmith
Horspool Joseph - Bricklayer
Hurst Miss Kate - National School
Huskinson Frederick - Beerhouse keeper Mill House
Inglesant Mr William Harris - Bleak House
Inglesant Mrs Mary Ann -
Israel Martin - Draper
Jacques Miss Harriet - Teacher (own private school)
Johnson John - Beerhouse keeper Royal Oak
Johnson John Jun - Draper, haberdasher, grocer
Kinch Thomas - Beerhouse keeper King William IVth
King William - Grocer
Lane Mrs Catherine - Mountsorrel Rd
Law Edward - Grocer and beer retailer
Lovett Mrs Elizabeth - Carrier
Lucas Thomas - Jeweller and watchmaker
Martin Henry - Cottager and cowkeeper
Martin Miss Theresa - Dressmaker
Martin Mr Charles William - Quorn Place
Martin Mrs Maria - Milliner
Meakin Wilfred Johnson - solicitor, New villa
Mee John - Working foreman at gas works
Moses Rowland - Farmer and grazier
Moss John - Farmer, grazier and butcher (at L'boro)
North Thomas - Grocer, tallow chandler & postmaster
Paget William - Grocer
Painter Mr Joseph -
Parker John - Butcher and beer retailer
Pilkington Mrs Sophia - Grocer
Poyner Harry - Master National School
Priestley George - General dealer
Quorn Co-operative & Provident Society - Draper
Richardson William - Butcher and farmer
Rumsby James - Maltster and licenced victualler White Hart
Sanders John - Joiner, builder, timber merchant and saw mill proprietor
Saunt Alfred - Licenced victualler White Horse
Scott Thomas - Grocer and chimney sweep
Sharp William - Bootmaker
Smith Misses Maria and Lucy -
Smith Mr Edwin - Westfield House
Squire Archibald - Gardener at The Hall
Stephens Richard Joseph - Architect
Stubbs Mrs -
Supper Mrs Jemima - Vine House
Sutton Charles - Horse and trap letter
Swain Miss Annie - Dressmaker
Swain William Yalding - Painter and gravestone cutter
Swinfield John William - Bootmaker
Tacey Miss Fanny - Dressmaker
Tacey Mr Joseph - Verandah Cottage
Thompson Mr Richard -
Thornton Mrs Harriet - Dressmaker
Thornton William - Tailor and draper
Unitt James Arthur - Surgeon
Waddington Richard Bean - Baker
Ward John - Farmer, grazier and hay & straw dealer
Warner Edward Esq JP - of Cartwright & Warner (manufacturers Loughborough), Quorn Hall
Webster Mrs Charlotte - Baker
Webster William - Grocer and baker
White George - Clerk to Local Board
White John - Surveyor
Wilders William - Greengrocer
Wileman Mrs Annie, manageress Quorn Co-operative & Provident Society - Grocer
Wilkinson Stephen - Grocer
Wisehall John B - Manager of Quorn Co-operative Provident Society
Wollerton Mr Spreckley - Beaconsfield Cottage
Woodroffe Miss Mary Ann - Church hill
Wortley Enoch - Agent Prudential
Wright James - of M Wright & Sons
Wright Michael & Sons - Elastic web manufacturers
Wright Mrs Catherine - Mill House
Wright Philip - of M Wright & Sons
Wright William - of M Wright & Sons, h Forest Road Loughborough

   
 Submitted on: 2012-11-23
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 1731
 
Bookmark with:
Delicious Digg Facebook Reddit StumbleUpon

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view featured item
 view featured item
 view featured item
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 leave a comment

Seeking Information
Post your information request onto our notebook.

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page
 login / register