Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Wrights Directory 1883/84 – Quorndon entries

Trade directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorndon section from Wrights directory for Leicestershire for 1883/84.

“Quorndon (usually called Quorn) is a large village, township, and a suburb of Loughborough, in the Parish and Union of Barrow, on the West side of the Soar, and consists of one long main street, on the Leicester and Loughborough turnpike, and three other good streets branching from it. It is 8 ½ miles N from Leicester, 2 ½ SSE from Loughborough, 1 ½ NNW from Mountsorrel and 1 W from the Midland station, at Barrow. It is in the northern division of the county, West Goscote hundred, rural deanery of East Akeley and Loughborough County Court district. It is comparatively flat, but there are some excellent drives and walks in the vicinity, from which good views of the Charnwood hills are obtained. Many of the inhabitants are still employed in framework-knitting, and a large elastic web factory employs a considerable number of hands. The Earl of Lanesborough is Lord of the Manor, but a great part of the land belongs to W E Farnham, Esq, Mrs Herrick, Mr E Warner and some smaller freeholders. Mr Farnham resides at Quorndon House which is situated to the south of the village, on the northern declivity of the lofty range of hills extending from Charnwood Forest to Mountsorrel. The Hall, which is the residence of Mr Edward Warner, is on the north east. It formerly belonged to Mr H Meynell, the celebrated sportsman, and was occupied in the season by the Masters of the Quorn Hunt. There are extensive kennels near the Hall. The chapelry of Quorndon was enclosed and the tithes commuted in 1762. St Bartholomew’s Church is an ancient Early English structure, comprising chancel, nave, aisles, and tower and with six bells and clock. The Farnham Chapel contains several memorials of the family; the great ancestor, Sir Robert de Farnham, came to England with William the Conqueror. The north aisle was enlarged 25 years ago, at a cost of £700, and a new vicarage house, in the Elizabethan style, was built in 1827, at a cost of £1200. The church was thoroughly repaired and restored under the direction of Mr E. Christian, in 1865-6, at a cost of over £2000. Several stained memorial windows have been put in, three of which are by Wailes & Son of Newcastle. The Register dates from 1576. By an order of Council, dated July 30, 1868, Quorndon was separated from the vicarage of Barrow, and constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish. The living is a vicarage of the yearly value of £122, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The General Baptist Chapel was built in 1770, and has 700 sittings and large Sunday school. The Wesleyan chapel was much improved in 1861 at a cost of £170, a new front being erected and new pews and pulpit being provided. There are also a Primitive Methodist and a Roman Catholic Chapel, several Friendly Societies, lodges of Odd Fellows, a Building Society, and an Allotment Society, by which plots of 600 yards each are let to the poor at small rents.
The town is governed by a Local Board consisting of nine members, one third of whom retire annually, but are eligible for re-election. The Gas Works were established in 1853, at a cost of £3300, raised in £5 shares, and now having a capital of £5000. Both Quorndon and Mountsorrel are supplied from these works, and the charge to small customers is 6s per 1000 feet, rather lower to large consumers. Mr J Camm is the secretary and manager. A Reading Room and Library were established in 1854. The National School was built in 1835, and an Infant School in 1837, by the trustees of the under-mentioned charity estate, but they are mainly supported by donations and the pupils’ fees. An estate, given by various donors has been voted in trust from an early period, for the support of a minister and schoolmaster, the reparation of the bridges, and relief of the poor. It now produces about £113 a year. The trustees pay £12 to the vicar, £35 towards the support of the schools, the remainder in coals, clothing &c to the poor, and the reparations of bridges and buildings on the charity estate. In 1691, Mrs Margaret Kaye left a yearly rent charge of 30s for the poor out of her estate, now belonging to Mr Farnham, and it is distributed in bread on Good Friday. The dividends of £220.7s.9d three per cent stock, purchased with £200, left by the Rev John Prior in 1830 are also distributed in bread in January. In 1827, George Hyde left £1000 for the poor; but it was not paid till 1838, when it was recovered, with arrears of interest, after a Chancery suit. The proceeds are distributed yearly among the poor of Quorndon, Acreage of the township, 2120; rateable value £9023 16s; population in 1881, 1816.”

St Bartholomew’s Church - Services on Sunday at 10-45 and 6-30. Communion first Sunday in month. Vicar, Rev R Stammers MA ; Curate Rev C S Taylor MA; Churchwardens Messrs Woolerton and J Stacey; Organist, Mr Thomas Lucas : Clerk William Phipps. Hymns Ancient and Modern.

Chapels – Roman Catholic: Rev M J O’Reilly. Baptist: Services, Sunday 10-30 and 6, Wednesday 7-30; Stewards, Messrs Smith and Parkinson. Wesleyan: 10-30 and 6; Steward Mr Bramley. Primitive: 2 and 6; Steward Mr John Richardson.

Local Board – Messrs J D Cradock (chairman), J Wright, C Smith, J Tacey, T Freeman, J Darker, J Richardson, G Chapman and W E J Farnham.
Clerk, Mr Joseph Camm; Nuisance Inspector Joseph Bates; Collector James Camm

Post, Money Order and Telegraph Office at Mr Thomas North’s, Leicester Road. Letters arrive from Loughborough at 7.30; box cleared at 5.30 pm., Sundays at 1.15

Carriers - Charles Lovett to Loughborough daily, Charles Marson to Leicester, M, W and S

Ackroyd Mr William -
Ackroyd Mrs Jane -
Ball Mrs Sarah - Baker
Barnett Samuel - Farmer, grazier and beerhouse keeper
Barrs Mrs Sarah -
Bates Joseph - Wheelwright and inspector of nuisances
Bates William - Wheelwright
Beck George - Farmer and grazier, Brook House
Bolesworth James John - Farmer and grazier, Chaveney House
Bradshaw Mrs Mary -
Bramley Mrs Mary - Dressmaker
Briggs Charles - Farmer and grazier
Briggs Mr Charles -
Burrows Mrs Ann - Dressmaker
Callis Samuel - Grocer, news agent and beer retailer
Camm James - Rate collector, registrar of births & deaths and secretary to Building Society
Camm John - Farmer, grazier and miller, Quorn Mill
Camm Joseph - Accountant, land surveyor, clerk to Local Board; superintendent registrar, overseer, sec and manager to Gas works
Camm Joseph - Manager & secretary, Quorndon & Mountsorrel Gas Co
Camm William - Carpenter and beerhouse keeper
Chadburn Mrs Sarah - Shopkeeper
Chadwin Mrs Sarah - Grocer
Chapman George - Farmer and grazier
Chapman Thomas - Beerhouse keeper, Cherry Tree
Chapman William - Cowkeeper
Cooke George - Confectioner
Cooper Mr William -
Copeland Mrs Susan - Shopkeeper
Corlett Miss Isabella - Mistress National School
Corlett Miss Isabella - National School
Cradock John Davys - of Cradock & Webb solicitors, Loughborough. Quorn Court
Cragg Edward & Son (Thomas) - Saddlers
Cross Charles - Farmer and grazier, Quorn Fields
Dalby Joseph - Joiner, builder and cabinet maker
Darker John - Farmer and grazier, Westfield Farm
Darker Solomon - Grocer & secretary to Horticultural Society
Davis Samuel - Manager for J Perkins
Dawson Mr William Henry -
Dexter George - Cattle dealer
Dexter John - Butcher
Disney James - Nailmaker
Disney John - Bootmaker
Dudgeon Mr Henry Dalby -
Egan Mrs Fanny - Dressmaker
Facer Henry - Newsagent
Farnham Mr William Edward Basil - Quorn House
Fewkes Benjamin - Bricklayer
Fewkes Miss Ada - Dressmaker
Fewkes Mr John -
Fewkes William - Painter
Firr Tom - Huntsman, the kennels
Fletcher John - Bag hosier
Fletcher Joseph - Bag hosier
Freeman Mr Thomas -
Gamble Thomas - Coal dealer
Garner William James - Agent Prudential Insurance Co
Greaves Mrs Ann -
Harris Samuel - Surgeon
Hawley Miss Ellen - Boarding and day school
Hind Mr John - Verandah Cottage
Hole Mrs Harriet and Mr Henry Edward - Quorn Lodge
Holmes Thomas - Blacksmith
Horsepool Joseph - Bricklayer and dealer in building materials
Inglesant Mr William Harris - Bleak House
Inglesant Mrs Mary Ann - The Mount
Israel Martin - Draper and bricklayer
Jenkins Mr Joshua - Mountsorrel Rd
Johnson John - Draper, haberdasher, shopkeeper and beerhouse keeper (Royal Oak)
Kinch Thomas - Beerhouse keeper, King William Ivth
Lacey Mrs Ann - Butcher and shopkeeper
Law Edward - Grocer and beer retailer
Lee William - Beerhouse keeper, Three Crowns
Leeds Wm Buckle Captain RN -
Lovett Charles - Carrier
Lucas Thomas - Jeweller and watchmaker
Macaulay William Herrick - Secretary Mountsorrel Granite Co
Machin Samuel - Havelock Coffee House
Martin Mr Chas W - Quorn Place
Martin Mrs Maria - Milliner
Mee John - Working foreman at gas works
North Thomas - Grocer, tallow chandler & postmaster
O'Reilly Rev Mathew Joseph - Catholic
Paget Benjamin - Shopkeeper
Paget Mrs Clara - Quorn Cottage
Perkins John - Plumber and horticultural builder (& at L'boro)
Phipps William - Parish clerk and sexton
Pilkington Mrs Sophia - Shopkeeper
Quorn Co-operative & Provident Society - Draper
Quorndon Club - W Inglesant, secretary
Revell Mrs Emma - Dressmaker
Richardson John - Butcher and cowkeeper
Richardson William - Butcher
Rockley Mrs Mary - Dressmaker
Rowley Mr John -
Rumsby James - Farmer, grazier, maltster and victualler White Hart
Rumsby William Lound - Farmer, grazier and maltster
Sanders John - Joiner, builder, timber merchant and saw mill proprietor
Sault Alfred - Publican, White Horse
Sharp John - Bootmaker
Sharp William - Bootmaker
Sheffield Amos - Shopkeeper and ale and porter and pig dealer
Sheffield Mrs Hannah - Publican, Bull's Head
Shephard John - Beerhouse keeper, Boot
Sibson Thomas - Baker
Smith Charles - Farmer and grazier, Quorn Fields
Smith Joseph - Bootmaker
Smith Misses Maria and Lucy -
Spencer Joseph - Superintendent of agents, National Provident Assurance Inst
Stammers Rev Robert MA (Vicar) - Vicarage
Stubbs Mr William -
Supper Miss Martha Jemima - School
Sutton Charles - Horse and trap letter
Swain Miss Annie - Dressmaker
Swain William Yalding - Painter and gravestone cutter
Tacey Miss Fanny - Dressmaker
Tacey Mr Joseph - Rose Cottage
Taylor Rev Charles Stanley MA - Curate
Thompson Mr Richard -
Thornton William - Tailor and draper
Underwood Edward - Chimney sweep
Ward John - Farmer, grazier and hay & straw dealer
Wardle Edwin - Master National School
Warner Edward Esq JP - of Cartwright & Warner (manufacturers Loughborough), Quorn Hall
Webster William - Baker
White George - Solicitor's cleark
White John - Butler
White John - Surveyor
Wileman Mrs Annie, manageress Quorn Co-operative & Provident Society - Grocer
Wilkinson Stephen - Shopkeeper
Woodroffe Misses Eliza, Mary Ann and Hannah - Church hill
Wright James - of M Wright & Sons, Soar House
Wright Joseph - Farmer, grazier and coal merchant
Wright Michael & Sons - Elastic web manufacturers
Wright Mrs Catherine -
Wright Philip & William - of M Wright & Sons, The Elms

   
 Submitted on: 2012-11-22
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 1729

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view featured item
 view featured item
 view featured item
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 leave a comment

Seeking Information
Post your information request onto our notebook.

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page
 login / register