Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Wrights Directory 1880 – Quorndon entries

Directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorndon section from Wrights directory for Leicestershire for 1880.

“Quorndon (usually called Quorn) is a large village and township in the Parish and Union of Barrow, on the W side of the Soar, and consists of one long main street, on the Leicester and Loughborough turnpike, and three other good streets branching from it. It is 8 ½ miles N from Leicester, 2 ½ SSE from Loughborough, 1 ½ NNW from Mountsorrel and 1 W from the Midland station, at Barrow. It is in the northern division of the county, West Goscote hundred, rural deanery of Akeley and Loughborough County Court district. It is comparatively flat, but there are some excellent drives and walks in the vicinity, from which good views of the Charnwood hills are obtained. Many of the inhabitants are still employed in framework-knitting, and a large elastic web factory employs a considerable number of hands. The Earl of Lanesborough is Lord of the Manor, but a great part of the land belongs to W E Farnham, Esq, Mrs Herrick and some smaller freeholders. Mr Farnham resides at Quorndon House which is situated to the south of the village, on the northern declivity of the lofty range of hills extending from Charnwood Forest to Mountsorrel. The Hall, which is the residence of Mr Edward Warner, is on the NE. It formerly belonged to Mr H Meynell, the celebrated sportsman, and was occupied in the season by the Masters of the Quorn Hunt. There are extensive kennels near the Hall. The chapelry of Quorndon was enclosed and the tithes commuted in 1762. St Bartholomew’s Church is an ancient structure, comprising chancel, nave, aisles, and tower and with six bells and clock. The Farnham Chapel contains several memorials of the family; the great ancestor, Sir Robert de Farnham, came to England with William the Conqueror. The north aisle was enlarged 25 years ago, at a cost of £700, and a new vicarage house, in the Elizabethan style, was built in 1827, at a cost of £1200. The church was thoroughly repaired and restored under the direction of Mr Ewan Christian, in 1865-6, at a cost of over £2000. Several stained memorial windows have been put in, three of which are by Wailes & Son of Newcastle. By an Order in Council, dated July 30, 1868, Quorndon was separated from the vicarage of Barrow, and constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish. The living is a vicarage of the yearly value of £122, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The General Baptist Chapel was built in 1770, and has 700 sittings and large Sunday school. The Wesleyan chapel was much improved in 1861 at a cost of £170, a new front being erected and new pews and pulpit being provided. There are also a Primitive Methodist and a Roman Catholic chapel. There are several Friendly Societies, lodges of Odd Fellows, a Building Society, and an Allotment Society, by which plots of 600 yards each are let to the poor at small rents. The town is governed by a Local Board consisting of nine members, one third of whom retire annually, but are eligible for re-election. The Gas Works were established here in 1853, at a cost of £3300, raised in £5 shares, and now having a capital of £5000. Both Quorndon and Mountsorrel are supplied from these works, and the charge to small customers is 6s per 1000 feet, rather lower to large consumers. Mr Joseph Camm is the secretary and manager. A Reading Room and Library were established in 1854. The National School was built in 1835, and an Infant School in 1837, by the trustees of the under-mentioned charity estate, but they are mainly supported by donations and the pupils’ fees. An estate, given by various donors has been voted in trust from an early period, for the support of a minister and schoolmaster, the reparation of the bridges, and relief of the poor. It now produces about £113 a year. The trustees pay £12 to the vicar, £35 towards the support of the schools, the remainder in coals, clothing &c to the poor, and the reparations of bridges and buildings on the charity estate. In 1691, Mrs Margaret Kaye left a yearly rent charge of 30s for the poor out of her estate, now belonging to Mr Farnham, and it is distributed in bread on Good Friday. The dividends of £220.7s.9d three per cent stock, purchased with £200, left by the Rev John Prior in 1830 are distributed in bread in January. In 1827, George Hyde left £1000 for the poor; but it was not paid till 1838, when it was recovered, with arrears of interest, after a Chancery suit. The proceeds are distributed yearly among the poor of Quorndon, Acreage of the township, 2131; rateable value £8265; population in 1871, 1516.”

St Bartholomew’s Church - Services on Sunday at 10-45 and 6-30. Sacrament first Sunday in month. Vicar The Rev R Stammers MA ; Curate Rev T W Richards MA; Churchwardens Messrs J Stacey and C Smith ; Harmonium Mr Thomas Lucas : Parish Clerk William Phipps. Hymns Ancient and Modern.

Chapels – Roman Catholic: Rev Edw Baste. Baptist: Services, Sunday 10-30 and 6, Wednesday 7-30; Rev A Green; Stewards, Messrs Smith and Parkinson. Wesleyan: 10-30 and 6; Steward Mr Bramley. Primitive: 2 and 6; Steward Mr John Richardson.

Local Board – Messrs E Warner (chairman), J Wright, C Smith, J Tacey, T Freeman, J Darker, J Richardson, G Chapman and J D Cradock.
Clerk, Mr Joseph Camm; Nuisance Inspector Joseph Bates; Collector James Camm

Post, Money Order and Telegraph Office at Mr Thomas North’s, Leicester Road. Letters arrive from Loughborough at 8 ; box cleared at 5.30 pm.

Carriers:
Charles Lovett to Loughborough and Leicester daily
Charles Marson to Leicester W & S, Loughborough daily

Ackroyd Mr William - Private resident
Armstrong Mrs Jane - Private resident
Attenborough Richard Frederick - Plumber and gas fitter
Bailey George Joshua - Farmer, grazier and miller, Quorn Mill
Ball Mrs Sarah - Baker
Barnett Samuel - beer house keeper and cow keeper
Barrs Mrs Sarah - Private resident
Bates Joseph - Wheelwright and inspector of nuisances
Bates William - Wheelwright
Beardsley William Henry - Woolley, Son and Beardsley (solicitors Loughborough), lives Soar House
Beck George - Brook House, farmer
Bolesworth James John - Chaveney House, farmer
Bradshaw Mrs Mary - Private resident
Bramley Mrs Mary - Dressmaker
Briggs Mr Charles - Private resident
Brown Oliver Stanley - Publican, White Horse
Bruce James - Baker
Burrows Mrs Ann - Dressmaker
Callis Samuel - Grocer, news agent and beer retailer
Camm James - Rate collector, registrar of births marriages & deaths and secretary to Building Society
Camm John - Farmer, grazier, beer house keeper and miller
Camm Joseph - Accountant, land surveyor, overseer; clerk to Local Board; sec and manager to Gas works
Chadburn Mrs Sarah - Shopkeeper
Chapman George - Farmer and grazier
Chapman John - Beer house keeper, Cherry Tree
Chapman William - Cowkeeper
Chittam David - Manager of Quorn Co-operative & Provident Society
Cooke George - Confectioner
Cooke Wm Edw - Artist, Soar Villa
Copeland Mrs Susan - Shopkeeper
Corlett Miss Isabella - Mistress National School
Cradock John Davys - of Cradock & Webb solicitors, Loughborough. Quorn Court
Cradock Mrs Mary Ann - Private resident
Cragg Edward & Son (Thomas) - Saddlers
Cross Charles - Quorn Fields, farmer and grazier
Dalby William - Joiner, builder and cabinet maker
Darker John - Westfield farm, farmer
Darker Solomon - Grocer
Dexter George - Cattle dealer
Dexter John - Butcher
Disney James - Nailmaker
Disney John - Bootmaker
Dudgeon Mr Henry Dalby - Private resident
Dunsmore Mr Richard - New Quorn
Egan Mrs Fanny - Dressmaker
Farnham Mr William Edward Basil - Quorn House
Fewkes Benjamin - Joiner, builder and bricklayer
Fewkes Mr John - Private resident
Fewkes William - Painter
Firr Tom - Huntsman, the kennels
Fowkes Miss Ada - Dressmaker
Freeman Mr Thomas - Private resident
Gamble Thomas - Coal dealer
Greaves Mr John - Private resident
Harris Samuel - Surgeon
Hawley Mrs Ellen - Boarding and day school
Hind Mr John - Verandah Cottage
Hole Mrs Harriet and Mr Henry - Quorn Lodge
Holmes Miss Mary Ann - Blacksmith
Horsepool Joseph - Joiner, builder, bricklayer and dealer in building materials
Inglesant Mr William Harris - Bleak House
Jenkins Mr Joshua - Mountsorrel Rd
Johnson John - Draper and haberdasher (shopkeeper)
Kinch Thomas - Beer house keeper, King William IVth
King Henry - Master National School
Lacey Mrs Ann - Butcher
Lee William - Beer house keeper, Three Crowns
Leeds Mrs Sarah Ann - Boarding and day school, Elm Grove House
Leeds Wm Buckle Captain RN - Private resident
Lovett Charles - Carrier
Lucas Thomas - Jeweller and watchmaker
Martin Miss Mary - Dressmaker
Martin Mr Chas W - Quorn Place
Martin Mrs Elizabeth - Milliner
Martin Mrs Maria - Draper
Mee Frederick - Farmer and grazier
Mee John - Working foreman at gas works
Messenger and Co - Plumbers and horticultural builders etc at Loughborough
North Thomas - Grocer & tallow chandler, Post Office
Paget Benjamin - Shopkeeper
Paget Mrs Catherine C - Quorn Cottage
Phipps William - Parish clerk and sexton
Porter Edward - Saddler and collar maker
Quorndon and Mountsorrel Gas Company - Joseph Camm manager & secretary
Revell Mrs Emma - Dressmaker
Richards Rev Thomas William MA - Curate
Richardson John - Butcher and cowkeeper
Richardson William - Butcher
Rockley Mrs Mary - Dressmaker
Rowley Mr John - Private resident
Rumsby James - Publican White Hart, malster and farmer
Rumsby William Lound - Assessor of taxes
Sanders John - Joiner, builder, timber merchant and saw mill proprietor
Sharp Joseph - Bootmaker
Sharp William - Bootmaker
Sheffield Amos - Shopkeeper, ale and porter and pig dealer
Sheffield Mrs Hannah - Publican Bull's Head
Shephard John - Beer house keeper, Boot
Smith Charles - Quorn Fields, farmer and grazier
Smith Mrs Sarah - Private resident
Stammers Rev Robert MA (Vicar) - Vicarage
Stubbs Mr William - Private resident
Supper Miss Martha Jemima - Day school
Sutton Charles - Bootmaker
Swain Miss Annie - Dressmaker
Swain William Yalding - Painter and gravestone cutter
Tacey Miss Fanny - Dressmaker
Tacey Mr Joseph - Rose Cottage
Thompson Mr Richard - Private resident
Thornton William - Draper and tailor
Underwood Edward - Chimney sweeper
Underwood Joseph - Hosiery manufacturer
Ward John - Farmer, grazier and hay & straw dealer
Warner Edward Esq JP - of Cartwright & Warner Loughborough, Quorn Hall
Warner Mr Edward Handley - Quorn Hall
Webster William - Baker
White George - Secretary to Horticultural Society
White John - Butler
Wilkinson Stephen - Shopkeeper
Woodrooffe Misses Eliza, Mary Ann and Hannah - Church Hill
Wright James - of M Wright & Sons
Wright Joseph - Farmer, grazier and coal merchant
Wright Michael & Sons - Elastic web manufacturers and at Leicester
Wright Phillip - of M Wright & Sons

   
 Submitted on: 2012-11-04
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 1700
 
Bookmark with:
Delicious Digg Facebook Reddit StumbleUpon

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view featured item
 view featured item
 view featured item
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 leave a comment

Seeking Information
Post your information request onto our notebook.

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page
 login / register