Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Whites Directory 1863 – Quorndon entries

Trade directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorndon section from Whites directory for Leicestershire for 1863.

“Quorndon is a large village, township and chapelry, in the parish of Barrow-upon-Soar, and on the west side of the river Soar It has three good streets, one on the Leicester and Loughborough Road, 8 ½ miles N of the former, 2 ½ miles SSE of the latter town, 1 ½ miles NNW of Mountsorrel and about a mile W of the Midland Railway Station, at Barrow. The drives and walks in the vicinity are extremely picturesque, and the prospects from some of the woody hills are extensive and varied. Quorndon township comprises about 2131 acres of land, rising in bold and well-wooded hills, from the fertile meadows near the river; and had 1503 inhabitants in 1821; 1811 in 1841; and 1622 in 1861. Many of them are employed in framework-knitting, &c., and Messrs. Balm, Hill, & Co., lace, and cotton tatting, &c. Manufacturers, employ here about 100 hands. In old writings, the manor is spelt Querne, Quernedon, &c. In1291, it was held by Philip Marmion; and the Beaumonts afterwards held it as a member of Loughborough. In 1393, John Farnham, whose family settled here soon after the Conquest, held for a chaplain in the chapel, 1 mess, 2 virgates, 1 toft, and 2 cottages. The Earl of Lanesborough is now lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to Edward Basil Farnham, Esq.; W P Herrick Esq., and a number of smaller owners. Mr Farnham resides at Quorndon House, a neat mansion, with pleasant grounds on the northern declivity of the lofty range of hills extending from Charnwood Forest to Mountsorrel, and on the west side of the village, near a rivulet which runs to the Soar. Quorndon Hall, on the east side of the village, near the river Soar, is a plain mansion of white brick, which was purchased in 1750, by H Meynell, Esq., the celebrated sportsman, and was long occupied in the fox-hunting season by the masters of the Quorndon Hunt; but is now the property and residence of Edw Warner, Esq. The extensive kennels near the Hall, are occupied by a large pack of hounds belonging to the Earl of Stamford and Warrington. Quorndon Place is the property of T Cradock, Esq., of Quorn Court, but is at present occupied by F A Dawson Esq. The chapelry of Quorndon was enclosed and the tithes commuted in 1762. The Church (St Bartholomew) is an ancient structure, with a tower and six bells and contains many monumental inscriptions in memory of members of the Farnham Family, whose great ancestor, Sir Robt. De Farnham, came to England with William the Conqueror. The north aisle was enlarged about 20 years ago, at the cost of £700, and a new Parsonage House, in the Elizabethan style, was built in 1837, at the cost of £1200. The living is a perpetual curacy which was certified at £12, and valued, in 1831, at £122, being augmented in 1728 and 1762 with £400 of QAB, and in the former year with £200, given by the Rev R Bewicke. The vicar of Barrow is patron, and the Rev Robt Stammers, MA, is the incumbent. There was in the church a chantry, dedicated to St Peter, and founded in 1328 by Sir John Hamlyn, who endowed it with lands at Wymondham. Valued at the dissolution at £4. 4s. 91/2 d.
Here is a General Baptist Chapel, built in 1770, and having 600 sittings, and a large Sunday school room attached. The Rev. Jas. Staddon is the present minister. In the village are also small chapels belonging to the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. The former was much improved, at a cost of about £170, in 1861, when a new brick front was erected, new pews and pulpit fitted up, and the two old cottages adjoining and belonging to the chapel, were rebuilt. Here is an Association for the Prosecution of Felons; several Friendly Societies, Oddfellows’ Lodges &c.; and an Allotment Society, which rents land, and lets it in garden plots of 600 square yards, at low rents, to the poor inhabitants. – Gas Works were established here in 1853, at a cost of £3300, raised in £5 shares, and the village is now well lighted with gas which is sold at the rate of 6s 8d per 1000 cubic feet. Mountsorrel is also lighted from these works. The Reading Room and Library were established in 1854, and are supported by subscription.
Quorndon Charities – The National School was built in 1835, and the Infant School in 1836, by the trustees of the following Charity Estate, but they are chiefly supported by donations and the small payments of the scholars. An Estate, given by unknown donors has been vested in trust from an early period, for the support of a minister and schoolmaster, the reparation of the bridges, and the relief of the poor and now produces about £113 per annum. Out of this income, the trustees pay £12 to the incumbent, £35 towards the support of the schools, and distribute the remainder in coals, clothing &c. to the poor, and in repairing the bridges and the buildings on the charity estate. This chapelry is entitled to send six free scholars to the school at Woodhouse founded by Thomas Rawlins from whose charity the poor here have various sums, amounting to £40 a year, besides £2 for apprenticing a poor boy. In 1691, Mrs Margaret Kaye left a yearly rent charge of 30s for the poor out of her estates here, now belonging to E B Farnham, Esq., and it is distributed in bread on Good Friday. The dividends of £220.7s.9d three per cent stock, purchased with £200, left by the Rev John Prior in 1830 are distributed in bread amongst the most necessitous poor, in January by the minister and churchwardens. In 1827, George Hyde left £1000 for the poor; but it was not paid till 1838, when it was recovered, with arrears of interest, after a suit in Chancery. The annual proceeds are distributed half-yearly from among the poor of Quorndon, who have also a bible yearly from Hickling’s Charity.”

Baker Elizabeth (Mrs) -
Baker William - National schoolmaster
Ball Philip - Farmer
Ball Sarah - Baker
Balm John - Manager
Balm Mrs Mary A -
Balm, Hill and Co - Lace, silk, net &c manufacturers
Barnett Samuel - Farmer
Bates Alice - Farmer
Bates Isaac - Wheelwright
Bates Joseph - Wheelwright
Bradshaw John - Boot and shoe makers
Bradshaw John Brown - MD
Briggs Charles - Farmer
Briggs John - Farmer
Briggs Samuel - Publican, Blue Ball
Brown William - Saddler
Burton Rd - Gent
Callis Samuel - Beerhouse keeper
Callis Samuel - Grocer and newsagent
Camm Joseph - Land surveyor, rate collector and manager of Gas Works
Camm Thomas - Corn miller
Carter Miss F H -
Chapman Mr William -
Chapman John - Baker
Chapman John - Beerhouse keeper
Chapman William - Farmer
Cradock Thomas Esq - Solicitor, Quorn Court
Cragg Edward - Saddler
Cragg Joseph - Tailor
Cripwell John - Farmer
Crofts Mary Ann and Jane - Drapers
Crofts Richard - Baker
Cross Ann - Farmer
Cross Mr Richard -
Dawson Fras. Alex Esq - Quorndon Place
Day Mr Thomas -
Dexter George - Farmer
Disney James and George - Nail makers
Earp Edwin - Corn miller
Evans Thomas - Needle maker
Farnham Edward Basil Esq - Quorndon House
Farthing Jno Joshua - Tanner & currier
Fewkes Henry - Bricklayers
Freeman Thomas - Grocer and coal dealer
Freeman Thomas - Post Office
Gambles Thomas - Wood dealer
Greaves John - Joiner & builder
Hall Mr Edward -
Hallam John - Hairdresser
Harris Samuel - Surgeon
Hesse Robert - Beerhouse keeper
Hind James - Gentleman, Soar Villa
Hives Richard - Farmer
Holmes James - Blacksmith
Holmes Thomas - Blacksmith
Holmes Thomas - Publican - Bull's Head
Hubbard Thomas - Publican - White Horse Inn
Inglesant Ann Mrs -
Inglesant Joseph Esq - Barrister
Kewley Annie - National schoolmistress
Lacey Henry - Butcher
Lucas Thomas - Shopkeeper
Lucas Thomas Jnr - Watchmaker
Lynes Ellen - Shopkeeper
Marson Charles - Baker
Marson John - Tailor
Marson William - Boot and shoe makers
Martin Israel - Draper (with Samuel Mason)
Martin Samuel - Bricklayers
Mason Samuel - Draper (with Israel Martin)
Mee Benjamin - Shopkeeper
Mee Benjamin - Tailor
Mee Frederick - Farmer
Messenger Thomas G - Plumber (& Loughborough)
Moore John - Hosiery manufacturer
Moore Mary Ann - Butcher
Olive John - Farm bailiff and gardener
Parkinson Thomas - Baker
Pick Mr John -
Rennocks William - Shopkeeper
Reynolds Edmund - Farmer
Richardson Jane - Farmer
Richardson John - Butcher
Richardson Mrs Jane -
Rumsby James - Publican - White Hart
Ryde Jane - Schoolmistress
Sanders George - Butcher
Sanders George - Farmer
Sanders John - Joiner & builder
Sarson Thomas - Gentleman, Soar House
Sarson Thomas Junr - Farmer
Sharp William - Boot and shoe makers
Sheffield Hannah - Beerhouse keeper
Sheffield Mr Thomas -
Smith John - Boot and shoe makers
Smith Mrs Sarah -
Smith William - Farmer
Spittlehouse John - Blacksmith
Squire Benjamin - Druggist
Staddon Rev James - General Baptist
Stammers Rev Robert MA - Incumbent of Woodhouse & Quorndon parsonage
Sutton Benjamin - Boot and shoe makers
Sutton Charles - Boot and shoe makers
Sutton Robert - Bricklayers
Swain William - Painter and gravestone cutter
Tacey Joseph - Gent, Verandah Cottage
Taylor John - Joiner & builder
Thornton William - Tailor
Tomlinson William - Schoolmaster
Treadwell John - Huntsman
Trueman Thomas - Grocer and tallow chandler with Thomas North
Underwood Samuel - Manager
Wakelin William - Beerhouse keeper
Warner Edward Esq - Quorndon Hall
Webster Joseph - Beerhouse keeper
Webster Joseph - Hosiery manufacturer
Webster William - Baker
White John - Butler
Wilkinson Stephen - Shopkeeper
Winterton John - Beerhouse keeper
Worrall John – Saddler

Carriers
John Brown to Leicester, Wednesday and Saturday; and Loughborough Thursday
Samuel Briggs and Charles Lovett to Loughborough daily

   
 Submitted on: 2012-08-27
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 1675

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 leave a comment

Seeking Information
Post your information request onto our notebook.

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page
 login / register