Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Wednesday 21st November 2018  

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Leicestershire Gazetteer & Directory 1846 – Quorndon entries

"History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Leicestershire and the small County of Rutland, together with the adjacent towns of Grantham and Stamford" - Extracts of the Quorn entries.

Trade directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorndon section from the Leicestershire Gazetteer & Directory for 1846.

“Quorndon is a large village, township and chapelry, in the parish of Barrow-upon-Soar, and on the west side of the river Soar. It has three good streets, one on the Leicester and Loughborough road, 8 ½ miles N of the former, 2 ½ miles SSE of the latter town, 1 ½ miles NNW of Mountsorrel, and about a mile W of the Midland Railway station, at Barrow. Its township comprises about 2,100 acres of land, rising in bold and well-wooded hills, from the fertile meadows near the river; and had 1,503 inhabitants in 1821, and 1811, in 1841. Many of them are employed in framework knitting etc, and Messrs Balm and Hill, lace, glove, mitt and silk and cotton tatting etc, manufacturers, employ here from two to three hundred hands. In old writings, the manor is spelt Querne, Quernedon etc. In 1291, it was held by Philip Marmion; and the Beaumonts afterwards held it as a member of Loughborough. In 1393, John Farnham, whose family settled here soon after the Conquest, held for a chaplain in the chapel, 1 mess, 2 virgates, 1 toft and 2 cottages. J G D B Danvers Esq, is now lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to Edward Basil Farnham Esq MP and several smaller owners, among whom are the Smith, Raworth and Stone families. Mr Farnham is one of the Parliamentary Representatives of the Northern Division of Leicestershire, and resides at Quorndon House, a neat mansion, with pleasant grounds on the northern declivity of the lofty range of hills extending from Charnwood Forest to Mountsorrel, and on the west side of the village, near a rivulet which runs to the Soar. Quorndon Hall, on the east side of the village, near the river Soar, is a plain mansion of white brick, which was purchased in 1750 by H Meynell, Esq., the celebrated sportsman, and has since been occupied only in the fox hunting season by the masters of the Quorndon Hunt, the members of which have a large subscription pack, commonly called the Quorn Hounds, and stationed here half the season, and the other half at their kennels in Billesdon; the hunt being a very extensive division of the district, popularly called the Melton hunt. B C Raworth Esq., has a pleasant seat here, called Quorndon Place [note: 2012 is the Quorndon Fox]. The chapelry of Quorndon was enclosed, and the tithes commuted in 1762. The Church (St Bartholomew) is an ancient structure, with a tower and six bells, and contains many monumental inscriptions in memory of members of the Farnham family, whose great ancestor, Sir Robt. De Farnham, came to England with William the Conqueror. The north aisle was enlarged some years ago at a cost of £700, and a new Parsonage house, in the Elizabethan style, was built in 1837, at a cost of £1200. The living is a perpetual curacy, which was certified at £12, and valued, in 1831, at £122, being augmented in 1728 and 1762 with £400 of Q.A.B., and in the former year with £200, given by the Rev R Bewicke. The vicar of Barrow is patron, and the Rev Robt. Stammers is the incumbent. There was in the church a chantry, dedicated to St Peter, and founded in 1328 by Sir John Hamlyn, who endowed it with lands at Wymondham, valued at the dissolution at £4.4s.9½d. Here is a General Baptist Chapel, built in 1770, and having 600 sittings, and a large Sunday school room attached. The rev James Staddon is the present minister. In the village are also small chapels belonging to the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Many of the houses are neat, and the prospects from the woody hills in the vicinity are extensive and varied. Mr J Inglesant is the solicitor of the Quorndon Association for the Prosecution of Felons. The Friendly Society here has lately purchased 10 A of land, and allotted it in equal shares among the members, at moderate rents. Here is also an Allotment Society, which rents land and lets it in garden plots of 600 square yards, at low rents, to the poor inhabitants.
QUORNDON CHARITIES – The national School was built in 1835, and the Infant School in 1836, by the trustees of the following Charity Estate, but they are chiefly supported by donations and the small payments of the scholars. An estate given by unknown donors has been vested in trust from an early period, for the support of a minister and schoolmaster, the reparation of the bridges, and the relief of the poor. The present trustees are E B Farnham Esq, the Rev T Stammers, and others; and since the enclosure [1763], the estate has consisted of 28 acres, let for £43; 8 acres 1 rood 16 perches, in Beaumanor, let for £7; 20 cottages in the village, let for £44; and a house occupied by the master of the National School, worth £10 a year. Out of this income, the trustees pay £12 to the incumbent [vicar], £30 towards the support of the schools and distribute £25 in coals among the poor; and the remainder is expended in repairing the bridges and the building on the charity estate. This chapelry is entitled to send six free scholars to the school at Woodhouse, founded by Thomas Rawlins, from whose charity the poor here have various sums, amounting to £29 17s a year, besides £2 for apprenticing a young boy. In 1691, Mrs Margaret Kaye left a yearly rent charge of 30s for the poor out of her estate here, now belonging to E B Farnham Esq., and it is distributed in bread on Good-Friday. The dividends of £220.7s.9d three per cent stock, purchased with £200, left by the Rev John Prior, in 1830, are distributed in bread amongst the most necessitous poor, in January, by the minister and churchwardens. In 1827, George Hyde left £1000 for the poor; but it was not paid until 1838, when it was recovered, with arrears of interest, after a suit in Chancery. The annual proceeds are distributed half-yearly among the poor of Quorndon, who have also a bible yearly from Hickling’s Charity.”

Baker Elizabeth
Ball John - Farmer
Ball Joseph - Baker
Balm (Joseph) and Hill (Thomas) - Lace, glove etc manufacturers (also in Nottingham)
Bates Isaac - Wheelwright
Bates Joseph - Beer house keeper
Bates Joseph - Wheelwright
Beeson William - Shopkeeper
Biddles William
Blackshaw William - Butcher
Blurton William
Brown Elizabeth - Carrier to Leic (Sat) & Loughboro' (Thurs)
Brown George - Gardener
Burnaby Rev Thomas MA - Curate of Loughborough
Callis Samuel - Beer house keeper
Camm Joseph - School
Carver Benjamin - Blacksmith
Cawrey James
Chapman John - Baker
Chapman John - Beer house keeper
Chapman Thomas - Farmer
Chapman William - Farmer
Condon James - Wharfinger & coal dlr.
Cooke George - Butcher
Cooke George - Shopkeeper
Coulson John - Farmer and maltster
Cross Joseph - Farmer
Darker John - Farmer
Deacon Frederick - School, taking boarders
Dexter George - Farmer
Disney William - Nail and patten maker
Doy Thomas - Huntsman
Farnham Edward Basil MP - Quorndon House
Fellows
Fewkes Henry - Bricklayer
Freeman Thomas - Grocer
Gragg Edward - Saddler
Green Henry Esq - Master of the Quorndon Hunt; h Rolleston
Gregory Thomas
Hackett Thomas - Beer house keeper
Harding George - Coachman
Harrington Emma - School
Harris Samuel - Surgeon
Hill Charles - Butcher
Hives Robert - Farmer
Holmes Thomas - Blacksmith
Holmes Thomas - Publican, Bull's Head
Hubbard Thomas - Publican, White Horse
Inglesant W H - Farmer
Inglesant William Harris - Tanner
Ives Richard - Corn miller
Jackson Edward - Surveyor
Jackson William - Beer house keeper
Jeays & Arnold - School, taking boarders
Jepson Samuel - Butcher
Lacey Henry - Butcher
Lynes John - Tailor
Marson John - Tailor
Marson William - Boot & shoemaker
Martin Samuel - Bricklayer and slater
Mee Benjamin - Shopkeeper
Moore John - Farmer
Phipps William - Hosiery manufacturer
Pryer Richardson - Beer house keeper
Pryer Richardson - Butcher
Ransom John - Whipper-in
Raven John
Raven Thomas - Constable
Raworth Benjamin C Esq - Quorndon Place
Rennock William - Shopkeeper
Richardson Thomas - Butcher
Rimington John - Wood bowl etc manufacturer
Robbins Robert - Beer house keeper
Rumsby James - Publican, White Hart
Sanders George - Butcher
Sarson Thomas - Farmer
Sheffield Mary - Beer house keeper
Sheffield Mary - Shopkeeper
Smith William - Farmer
Spittlehouse John - Blacksmith
Staddon Rev James - General Baptist
Stammers Rev Robt. - Incumbent
Stark William - Tailor & draper
Stone Mrs L
Strufflebottom Joseph - Framesmith
Sutton Benjamin - Boot & shoemaker
Tacey John
Tacey William - Shopkeeper
Taylor Edward - Hairdresser
Taylor John - Joiner
Taylor William - Joiner
Trueman Thomas - Grocer, chandler & Post Office
Vaughan Joseph - Lace manufacturer
Vent John - Gent
Warner Thomas - Tailor
Webster Charles - Beer house keeper
Webster William - Baker
Webster William - Butcher
Webster William Snr - Farmer
Whattoff William - Farmer
White Thomas - Tanner
Wild Thomas - Shopkeeper
Williams John - Boot & shoemaker
Woodforth John - Publican, Blue Ball
Woodroffe Daniel - Farmer
Woodroffe Misses E M & H
Worrall John – Saddler

Trains from Barrow Station nine times a day

   
 Submitted on: 2012-06-26
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 1614

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 leave a comment

Seeking Information
Post your information request onto our notebook.

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page
 login / register