Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Sunday 18th November 2018  

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Death of Mr Joseph Camm, of Quorn - 1896

Loughborough Herald - 3rd December 1896

On Monday evening, at the advanced age of 86 years, Mr Camm passed peacefully away at Quorn. Born at Quorn in 1811, and educated at the Church Schools there, he was, at the early age of 15, appointed schoolmaster at Wysall, and continued there for 3 and a half years. Whilst there he made a sundial, which was built into the church, and answered the purpose of a clock until the restoration of Wysall Church a few years ago, when the sundial was sent to Quorn to Mr Camm.

In 1830 he was appointed master of the Quorn School, and held the appointment for 23 years. The salary in those days was remarkably small, and although it included performing on the double bass at church, was only 20 per annum. Mr Camm, being of an indefatigable disposition, turned his attention to matters appertaining to the welfare of the parish, and devoted a considerable part of his spare time to acquiring a knowledge of land surveying. He was appointed overseer and tax collector, and in 1838 completed a survey of the parish to assist him in his work. The plan, with key, is still in existence, and is very useful, showing as it does the original boundaries, and including footpaths and names of fields. This plan occupied quite three years of his spare time, and its accuracy of detail shows clearly how painstaking and thorough he was in everything he undertook.

In 1853 Mr Camm devoted his energies to promoting the Quorndon and Mountsorrel Gas, Coke and Coal Company, and was appointed manager in 1853, and maintained the office until 1883, when he was succeeded by his son, Mr James Camm. In 1864 he was again to the front in assisting to establish the Local Board, and proved himself an efficient clerk and collector to that body until his resignation in 1886. Mr Camm was overseer of the poor for upwards of 40 years, and, as such, collected the poor rate free of expense to the parish. He represented Quorndon on the Board of Guardians for more than 30 years, and was chairman of that body during the last ten years of his membership. Amongst other numerous offices which he held, he was clerk to the trustees of the Town Lands, secretary to the Quorndon and Neighbourhood Building Society, and superintendent registrar of births, marriages and deaths. He was also the first member of the now prosperous Blooming Rose Lodge Order of Oddfellows, and on his resignation as Corresponding Secretary about ten years ago, was presented with a well-executed portrait of himself in oils.

He was the last survivor of the original shareholders of the Quorn Gas Co. Mr Camm survived three wives, and leaves eight children, out of a family of thirteen, to mourn his loss. The funeral will take place on Friday next in the parish churchyard at three o'clock.

   
 Submitted on: 2011-01-12
 Submitted by: Kathryn Paterson
 Artefact ID: 1168
 Print: View artefact in printer-friendly page

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 leave a comment

Seeking Information
Post your information request onto our notebook.

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page
 login / register