Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Wednesday 17th April 2024  

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Kelly's Directory 1908 – Quorn entries

Directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorn section from one of the famous Kellys directories, ie for Leicestershire for 1908.

QUORN (formerly called Quorndon) is a township and civil parish formed out of Barrow-on-Soar in 1868, on the west side of the navigable river Soar, on the road from Leicester to Loughborough, with a station on the Great Central railway, and one mile south west from Barrow-on-Soar station on the main line of the Midland railway, 2 ½ miles south-east from Loughborough, 8 ½ north from Leicester and 106 ½ from London. in the Mid division of the county, West Goscote hundred, Loughborough petty sessional division and county court district, Barrow-on-Soar Union, rural deanery of East Akeley, archdeaconry of Leicester and diocese of Peterborough.
The township was governed by a Local Board from 1864 but an Urban District Council of nine members has been established under the provision of the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vic. c.73) . The village is lighted with gas by the Quorndon and Mountsorrel Gas, Coke and Coal Company from works in this parish, which also supply Barrow on Soar. Water is supplied by the Corporation of Leicester from the Swithland reservoir. The church of St. Bartholomew is an ancient building of granite, chiefly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south or Farnham chapel, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells, five cast in 1773, one in 1777 and two in 1886: the chancel windows are stained: the east window being a memorial to Charlotte Elizabeth, the only daughter of Edward Warner esq. of Quorn Hall and another, erected by subscription, is a memorial to the Rev Robert Stammers MA, 56 years rector of the parish (1832-88); there are also stained windows in the aisles, and the south doorway retains a good Norman arch: in the Farnham Chapel founded by John Farnham in 1392 is a beautifully sculptured monument, erected by Sarah (Farnham), the late Countess of Denbigh; 1817, one to Thomas Farnham of Over Hall, dated 1501, and Margaret (Kingston) his wife, and several to other members of the Farnham family ; there are also two large marble-framed brasses with arms and inscriptions as well as a memorial window to Edward Farnham Esq of Quorndon, d 1835, and Harriett (Rhudde) his wife, to their son Edward Basil Farnham esq. of Quorndon, M.P. d. 1879, and their daughter Sarah Ann: in the church is a fine-alter tomb of alabaster, with recumbent effigies, to John Farnham, gentleman pensioner to Queen Elizabeth, d. 1587 and Dorothy his wife: in 1887 W.E.B. Farnham esq. presented an organ, at a cost of upwards of £600 in commemoration of the Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria: in 1897 an organ chamber was added by E.H. Warner esq. in memory of E Warner and Mary Anne his wife: and in 1902 Mrs. Warner presented new oak choir stalls, at a cost of about £100: the church has been restored since 1873, at a cost of £770 and affords 384 sittings. The registers date from 1576. Thomas Walton is mentioned in 1645 as “intending minister”. The parish of Quorndon was separated for ecclesiastical purposes from Barrow in 1757, the vicar of Barrow continuing to claim the freehold in the churchyard. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £220, including 61 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Edward Foord Kelcey MA of Pembroke College, Oxford. Here is a Baptist chapel, founded in 1770 with 400 sittings,and also Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and United Methodist Chapels. Charities – Hyde’s of about £28 yearly, is for clothing; the Town Lands or Unknown Donors’ produces about £180 and Thomas Rawlin’s about £450; Prior’s of about £6 11s a year, is given in bread on New Year’s Day; Kay’s of 30s yearly, is distributed amongst 30 poor persons attending church on that day; Miss Farnham’s of £14 14s 4d and Ansted’s of £5 13s are distributed in groceries. Messers. M. Wright and Sons' elastic web factory gives employment to a large number of females. Quorn House, the seat of George Francis Farnham esq. Is well situated in a park of about 100 acres, south of the village. Quorn Hall, the seat of Edward Handley Warner esq. D.L., J.P. Pleasantly situated on the banks of the River Soar, was erected by Capt. Henry Farnham in 1680 on the site of the Nether Hall. The Earl of Lanesborough is Lord of the Manor. The principal landowners are Edward Handley Warner esq. Mrs. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor Park, the Earl of Lanesborough and George Francis Farnham esq. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area of the civil parish and Urban District is 2,193 acres of land and 27 of water; rateable value, £13,139; the population in 1901 was 2,173.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Herbert.

Post, M.O.& T.O., T.M.O.,E.D., P.P., S.B. & I & A. Office. - Thomas North, sub-postmaster. Letters are received through Loughborough at 6.30 a.m. and 1.45p.m.; dispatched thereto at 11.30 a.m. & 6.15 & 8.10 p.m.; dispatched Sunday at 1.20 p.m.

Wall Letter Boxes. – Leicester Road, cleared at 11.25 a.m. and 6.10 p.m.; Sunday 1.20 p.m. Freehold Street cleared at 11.15 a.m. And 6.00 p.m.; Sunday 1.00 p.m. Loughborough Road cleared at 11.35 a.m. and 6.20 pm; Sunday 1.30 p.m.; Manor House Hotel, cleared at 5.55 p.m. week days only

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Offices, Rose Cottage. Meeting day 1st Tues. in month.
Members.
Chairman, John D. Craddock
Vice-Chairman, Edward Handley Warner

Retire in April 1908
David Smith Hack, William Turner, Thomas Pepper
Retire in April 1909
Thomas Higgs, Thomas Shenton
Retire in April 1910
John D. Cradock, Sidney James Wright, E. H. Warner

Officials.
Clerk, George White, Quorn
Treasurer, Walter Webb, Parr's Bank, Loughborough
Medical Officer of Health, Herbert Skipworth L.R.C.P. Irel. Mountsorrel
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, James Sculthorpe Cuffling, Quorn
Collector, James Camm, Quorn

SCHOOLS
Rawlins (The) Endowed School (mixed), founded at Woodhouse by Thomas Rawlins in 1691,was reconstructed in 1892 under a scheme approved by the High Courts of Chancery, & removed to Quorn: the school buildings, which include a house for the master, who takes a limited number of boarders, are designed & fitted upon modern principles on a site of six acres, about 1 mile from Barrow-on Soar & Quorn Railway stations: the classrooms provide for about 100 pupils, & there is a detached technical building, including a manual instruction room, chemical and physical laboratories &c: the object of the school is to provide for boys and girls a sound, practical middle class education on moderate terms: attached to the school are six free entrance scholarships, awarded annually in July: the school is controlled by a body of 13 governors of which E. H. Warner esq. of Quorn Hall, is chairman : there are now (1908) about 90 pupils; clerk to the governors, W.F. Beardsley, solicitor, Loughborough; Head master, Edward Walker Hensman M.A. of University & King's Colleges, London; staff : science master, J.H. Hickling B.A. Honors Nat. Sci. Tripos, Peterhouse, Camb. ; second master, F. M. Bassano B. A. Lond. Classical Hon.; Misses E. Butler, E. B. Newby & A. Skipworth, mistresses; drawing, R. W. Burrows; sloijd, A. Burrows

Under the provision of the Education Act, 1902, a committee of managers was formed
Public Elementary School (mixed & infants)), for about 500 children; average attendance, 255 mixed & 140 infants; Charles Adams, master; Miss G.M. Adams, infants' mistress
Railway Station (Great Central), Herbert Washington France, station master

CARRIERS to :-
Leicester – Clay & Co. daily; Barwell, Tues. & Fri. returning same days
Loughborough – Barwell, daily

Adair Thomas - Private resident, Churchhill cottage
Adams Charles - Private resident, The Cedars
Adcock Jonathan - Beer retailer & shopkeeper
Adcock Tom - Beer retailer
Allen John Robert - Cycle dealer
Backhouse William Henry - Plumber
Baker Eustace - Private resident, Tenterden
Bamber Henry - Private resident,
Birkin Joseph - Shopkeeper
Bolesworth Miss - Private resident, New Quorn house
Bonsor Thomas - Shoe maker
Boyer John - Shopkeeper
Boyer Joseph - Shoe maker & shopkeeper
Bradley Albert - Hair dresser
Brigstock William John - Hair dresser
Brown Oliver Stanley - Private resident, Wood view
Bunney Archie - Farmer
Bunney Thomas - Greengrocer
Cadney George - Shopkeeper
Camm Elizabeth (Mrs.) - Shopkeeper
Camm James - Registrar of marriages Barrow-on-Soar union & registrar of births & deaths Barrow sub-district, collector to Urban District Council & poor rate collector, manager Quorndon & Mountsorrel Gas Co. & insurance agent
Carr Edward - Boot & shoe maker
Cart John Henry - Butcher
Case John William - Private resident, Holmefield
Chapman Charles - Farmer
Chapman Emma (Mrs.) - Beer retailer
Clark Charles - Shopkeeper
Claypool Henry - Private resident, Beacon Villa
Cooper John Bruce - Private resident, The Hurst
Co-operative Stores Limited (John Henry Smithard - Manager)
Corah Arthur - Baker
Corah Henry - Shopkeeper
Cradock John Davys - Private resident, Quorn court
Cuffling James Sculthorpe - Surveyor & sanitary inspector to Urban District Council & deputy registrar of births & deaths Barrow sub-district & insurance agent
Cupitt Thomas - Coal dealer
Dakin Henry Knowles - Private resident, Cheveney lodge
Darker Solomon - Registrar of births & deaths Quorn sub-district, Barrow-on-Soar union
Disney John - Shoe makes
Drew Alfred J. - Private resident, The Towers
Ellis Ernest George - Private resident, South view
Ellis Joseph & Sons Limited - Coal merchants, Quorn Station
Facer Brothers - Joiners
Facer Frank - House furnisher
Farnham George Francis - Private resident, Quorn house
Fernley Claud L - Private resident,
Ferr [Firr] Mrs. Thomas - Private resident, Charnwood house
Fewkes Benjamin - Private resident,
Fewkes William H. - Builder
Forward Thomas - Private resident, The Laurels
Forward Thomas - Clerk to Barrow union & Rural District Council
Frisby George - Grocer
Gamble Charles - News agent
Gamble George - Builder
Grain Alfred - Insurance agent
Gumley Thomas - Farm bailiff to E. H. Warner esq
Hack David Smith - Shopkeeper
Hack Hannah Mary (Miss) - Milliner & dress maker
Hackett Henry - Boot repairer
Hands Joseph - Joiner
Harris Mrs - Private resident,
Hartopp James A. - Manor House hotel
Hayward John Alfred Le Mesurier - Private resident, Quorn place
Hebden John - Cab proprietor
Hensman Edward Walker M.A. (head master) - Private resident, Endowed school
Hill William - Private resident,
Hollingsworth William - Market gardener
Holmes Thomas - Blacksmith
Horspool William - Builder & c
Hull William - Plumber, see Tebutt & Hull
Inglesant William - Private resident,
James William - Painter
Jesson Vendy Henry - Butcher
Kelcey Rev. Edward Foord M.A. (vicar) - Private resident, Vicarage
Kinch Hephzibah (Mrs.) - King William IV public house
King Edwin - Grocer
King-Peirce William - Private resident, Soar house
Leslie Walter William - Saddler
London City & Midland Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to Loughborough) open Tues & Friday from 10.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. ;draw on head office - Threadneedle Street, London E C
Lucas Thomas Jun - Watch maker
Lycett Edward - Bull's Head public house
Machin William - Beer retaiter
Mann John - Farmer
Martin Maria (Mrs ) - Draper
Midland Railway Parcels - Receiving Office (Facer Brothers agents)
Moss John - Farmer Quorn fields
Neal Edwin - Private resident, Woodhouse lodge
Needham Joseph Cooper - White Hart public house
Newton George Fredrick - Private resident, The Cottage
North Henry H. - Pianoforte tuner
North Thomas & Sons - Grocers, Post office
Paget William - Shopkeeper
Parker Christopher Theophilus J.P. - Private resident, Quorn lodge
Parr's Bank Limited (sub-branch to Loughborough) - Open Tues & Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; draw on head office, Bartholomew lane London E C
Payne Rev. George Edward (Baptist) - Private resident, The Manse, Loughborough Road
Pepper Thomas - Coal merchant & farmer
Priestley George - Lamp & oil dealer
Quorn Building Society (George White sec)
Quorndon & Mountsorrel Gas - Coke Coal Co. (James Camm, manager)
Radcliffe J. Crosthwaite - Private resident, Clonskeagh
Rawlings Walter - Beer retailer & shopkeeper
Rawlins (The) Endowed School (Edward Walker Hensman M.A. head master ; for staff see above)
Rue Sidney - Beer retailer
Sanders John - Saw mills & timber dealer
Sarson Mrs - Private resident,
Seal Fredrick George - Private resident, The Woodlands
Sharpe George - Private resident, The Briars
Sherriff Brothers - Grocers
Shuttlewood William - Chemist
Simpson William - Butcher
Sims George - Private resident, Veranda cottage
Smith Misses - Private resident,
Speight Herbert Holmes - Private resident, Sunny bank
Speight Herbert Holmes - Surveyor's clerk
Squire Archibald - Head gardener to E.H. Warner esq
Super Miss - Private resident,
Sutton John - Painter
Swain John - Farmer
Teagle William - Shopkeeper
Tebutt & Hull - Plumbers
Temperance Hall - Barrow Lane
Thompson John - Builder
Thornton Fredrick - Insurance agent
Thornton Thomas Arthur - Private resident, Woodville
Thornton William - Tailor & draper
Toller Sherley - Private resident, Brook cottage
Toller William Shirley N. - Private resident, Stafford lodge
Turner Samuel - Boot & shoe maker
Turner William - Mill manager
Tyler Ernest - Private resident, The Elms
Underhill William Thomas - Private resident, Quorn cottage
Unitt James Arthur - Private resident,
Unitt James Arthur L.R.C.P. Edin. M.R.C.S. England - Surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator Quorn district, Barrow-on-Soar union
Village Hall Co. (George White sec)
Waddington George Alfred - Baker
Walton George John - White Horse hotel
Ward Lister - Butcher
Warner Edward Handley D.L., J.P. - Private resident, Quorn hall
Webster Thomas - Baker
Webster William - Grocer & baker
Wesley Henry - Shopkeeper
White George - Private resident, Rose cottage
White George - Clerk to Urban District Council & house & estate agent & sec to Quorn Building Soc
Wisehall John Buxton - Shopkeeper
Woodward John Hawkes - Private resident, Westfield
Wright M & Sons Ltd. Elastic web manufacturers - Bridge mill
Wright Sidney - Private resident, Woodside
Wright William - Private resident, One Ash

   
 Submitted on: 2023-03-02
 Submitted by: Gillian Ackers
 Artefact ID: 2527
 Artefact URL: www.quornmuseum.com/display.php?id=2527

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page