Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Thursday 30th May 2024  

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Wrights Directory 1898 – Quorn entries

Wrights Directory 1898 – Quorn entries
Trade directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorn section from Wrights Directory for Leicestershire for 1898.

Quorn (formerly called Quorndon) is a parish and township in the Barrow union, on the west side of the Soar, and consists of one long main street, on the Leicester and Loughborough turnpike, and three other streets branching from it. It is 8 ½ miles N from Leicester, 2 ½ SSE from Loughborough, 1 ½ NNW from Mountsorrel and 1 W from the Midland station, at Barrow. It is in the Loughborough division, West Goscote hundred, rural deanery of East Akeley, Loughborough County Court district and division of Quorn for the County Council. The river Soar intersects the eastern portion, which is comparatively flat, but there are some excellent drives and walks in the vicinity, from which good views of the Charnwood hills are obtained. Many of the inhabitants are employed in a large elastic web factory. The Earl of Lanesborough is Lord of the Manor, but the land belongs to W. E. Farnham, Esq., Mrs. Herrick, E. H. Warner, Esq., and some smaller freeholders. Quorndon House, one of the residences of the Farnham family is situated to the south of the village, on the northern declivity of the lofty range of hills extending from Charnwood Forest to Mountsorrel. The Hall, which is the residence of Mr. Warner, is on the north east. It formerly belonged to Mr. H. Meynell, the celebrated sportsman, and has been many times occupied by the Masters of the Quorn Hounds, the kennels being near the hall. The chapelry of Quorndon was enclosed and the tithes commuted in 1765. St Bartholomew’s Church is an Early English structure, with Decorated additions. The Farnham Chantry Chapel, built in the 13 century, adjoins the church and contains several memorials of the family; the great ancestor, Sir Robert de Farnham, came to England with William the Conqueror. There is a fine alabaster altar tomb to the memory of Sir John Farnham who died 1587. The north aisle was enlarged 31 years ago, at a cost of £700, and a new vicarage house was built in 1837, at a cost of £1,200. The church was repaired and restored under the direction of Mr. E. Christian, in 1865-6, at a cost of over £2,000. Several stained memorial windows have been put in, three of which are by Wailes & Son of Newcastle. Two additional bells were placed in the tower in 1886 at the cost of Mr. Farnham, and the same gentleman also expended £500 in the purchase of an organ, built by Mr. S Taylor, of Leicester. During the year 1897 the church was restored at the expense of over £500, defrayed by Mr. Farnham. The monuments and slabs were re-cut or restored, the chapel newly floored, and oak panelling introduced. In 1890 a handsome fresco painting by Mr. F. Oldacre, of Epsom, was placed on the wall in the rear of the font. A two-light stained window has been inserted in the south chapel, to the memory of the late vicar. The Registers date from 1576. By order of Council, dated July 30th, 1868, Quorn was separated from Barrow, and constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish. The living is a vicarage of the yearly value of £110, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The General Baptist Chapel was built in 1870. The Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1822, was renovated in 1861. There are also a Primitive Methodist and Roman Catholic Chapels, several Friendly Societies, lodges of Odd-fellows, Building Society, and Allotment Society, by which plots of 600 yards each are let at small rents.

The Urban Council consists of nine members, one third of whom retire annually, but are eligible for re-election. The Gas Works were established in 1853, at a cost of £3300, raised in £5 shares, and now having a capital of £5000. Quorn, Mountsorrel and Barrow are supplied from these works, and the charge to small consumers is 4s 7d per 1,000 feet, but much lower to large consumers. Mr J. Camm is the manager; and Mr. W. J. Woolley, solicitor (Loughborough), the secretary. The place is supplied with water by the Leicester Corporation, for which the Local Board is charged at the rate of 4d per 1000 gallons. The Village Hall is on the main road. It contains a capital room (holding 500) suitable for lectures and entertainment: the Urban Council hold their meetings here. Secretary, Mr. G. White, Rose Cottage, Quorn. A Reading Room and Library were started in 1886 by Messrs. M. Wright and Sons. The National School was built in 1835, and an Infant School in 1837, by the trustees of the charity estate, but they are mainly supported by subscriptions and the pupils’ fees. An estate, given by various donors has been voted in trust from an early period, for the support of a minister and schoolmaster, the reparation of the bridges, and relief of the poor. It now produces about £120 a year. The trustees pay £12 to the vicar, £35 towards the schools, the remainder in coals, clothing &c., to the poor, and the repairs on the charity estate. The charity of Thomas Rawlins, under which the school was formerly maintained at Woodhouse, has been remodelled under a Scheme of the Court of Chancery, and a secondary school has been established at Quorn, and in 1897 school buildings were erected at a cost of £3,500 with accommodation for boarders, also a technical School for the teaching of manual and scientific subjects. In 1898 girls were admitted for the first time as well as boys. Head Master, Mr. E. W. Hensman. In 1691, Mrs Margaret Kaye left an annual rent charge of 30s for the poor out of her estate, now belonging to Mr Farnham, and it is distributed in bread on Good Friday. The dividends of £220.7s.9d three per cent stock, purchased with £200, left by the Rev. John Prior in 1830 are also distributed in bread in January. In 1827, George Hyde left £1000 for the poor; but it was not paid till 1838, when it was recovered, with arrears of interest, after a Chancery suit. The proceeds are distributed yearly among the poor of Quorn. In 1878 Miss Farnham devised a sum of £500, the interest of which is distributed in sums of 5s and upwards to poor persons of Quorn, who have not received parish relief for two years. In 1890 the late Mr. Anstead left a sum which produces £5 13s yearly, and is distributed to the poor in bacon and groceries. Acreage of the township, 2120; rateable value £9675 18s.: population in 1891, 1888, in 1897, about 2500.

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL..– Messrs J. D. Cradock (chairman), Jas. Bolesworth, T. Chapman, J. Darker, D. Hack, T. North, Thomas Pepper, and R. Thompson, Clerk, Mr. Geo. White; Nuisance Inspector, B. Fewkes; Collector, Mr James Camm

ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH. – Services, week days 10 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Sunday at 11, 2.45 & 6-30. H.C. at 8, also first Sunday in month at mid-day. Vicar, Rev E. Foord-Kelcey, M. A. ; Wardens Messrs W. Thornton and M. Hayward ; Organist, Mr. V. Dearden (Leicester). Hymns A. and M.

CHAPELS,- Baptist : Services, Sunday 10.45 and 6, Th. 7.30; Stewards Messers. Smith and North, Wesleyan : 10.30 and 6; Steward Mr. Jph. Hand . Chapel Keeper, F. Chapman. Primitive 2.30 and 6.00. Keeper Mrs. A. Wykes. Methodist Free Church 2.30 and 6; Steward, Mr John Judd

POST, MONEY ORDER AND TELEGRAPH OFFICE; at Thomas North's, Leicester Road, Letters arrive from Loughborough at 6.30 and 1.30; box cleared at 11.30 a.m.,6.30 and 8.10p.m. week-days; Sundays 1.20. Boxes on Loughborough Road cleared 11.45, 6.25 and Sunday 1.30 ; Leicester Road, 11.25, 6.25


Adams Charles - Master National School
Adcock Jonathan - Grocer and shopkeeper and beer retailer
Backhouse William Henry - Registered plumber glazier & gasfitter sanitary & hot water engineer
Barlow Miss Elisa - The Gables
Bates Thomas - Joiner & wheelwright
Bolesworth Jas. John - Farmer and Grazier, Cheveney House
Bonser William - Boot maker
Boyer Joseph - Boot maker
Bramley Mrs. Mary - Dressmaker
Briers Joseph Arthur - Grocer and shopkeeper and newsagent and beer retailer
Brown Joseph - Agent Prudential
Brown Mr. Oliver Stanley - Wood View
Building Society - Wright's Institute, Freehold Street, J. Camm, Sec
Camm James - Rate Collector, registrar of births deaths & marriages for sub-district of Barrow & manager Gas wks
Carr Edward - Boot maker
Chapman Charles and George - Farmer and Grazier
Chapman Thomas - Publican, beer house, Apple Tree
Clarke Charles - Grocer and Shopkeeper
CONSERVATIVE CLUB - George White, Secretary
Cooper Mr. William -
Corlett Miss Isabella - National School
Cotton Miss - Dressmaker
Cotton Mrs. Harriet - Laundress
Cradock Mr. John Davys - Quorn Court
Cross Charles - Farmer and Grazier, Quorn Fields
Cuffing James - Insurance Agent
Cuffing Mrs. Ann -
Darker John - Farmer and Grazier, Westfield Farm
Darker Solomon - Registrar Of Births & Deaths For Sub-District Of Quorn
Davies Mrs. Kate - Grocer and Shopkeeper
Dexter John - Butcher and cattle dealer
Disney James - Nail Maker
Disney John - Boot maker & factor
Dyball Mrs. Catherine - Grocer and shopkeeper and beer retailer
Eagan Mrs. Fanny - Dressmaker
Facer Frank - Grocer and shopkeeper, proprietor Havelock Coffee House & Cycle & Insurance Agent
Facer Henry - Grocer, shopkeeper, newsagent, tobacconist, joiner, builder etc
Fewkes Ernest Benjamin - Joiner and builder
Fewkes Mr. Benjamin - Forest View
Fewkes William Henry - Joiner, builder and contractor
Firr Tom - Huntsman, The Kennels
Foord-Kelcey Rev. Edward M.A. - Vicarage
Frisby George - Grocer and Shopkeeper
Gamble Thomas - Farmer, grazier & general carter & coal dealer
Gartshore Edwin. Jn. - Farrier to P.A.O. Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry
Grant Joseph - P.C.
Greasley Edward - Foreman at Gas works
Greeton Miss Fanny - Verandah Cottage
Groom William - Publican, beer house, Mill House
Groom Wm - Beer Retailer & Shoeing Smith, Mill House
Hack David Smith - Boot maker, grocer and shopkeeper
Hack Miss Hannah Mary - Dressmaker & draper & milliner
Hanson Miss - National School
Hardy Arthur - Grocer and shopkeeper and confectioner
Harper William - Grocer and shopkeeper, Leicester road
Harris Samuel - Surgeon
Hawker Miss Elizabeth Henrietta - The Cottage
Hayward Mr. John Alfred Le Mesurier - Quorn Place
Heaps William - Cottager, cow keeper and carter, carrier to Loughboro'. W
Heighton Edwin - Publican, beer house, Three Crowns
Hensman Edward Walker M.A. London - Headmaster of Rawlins School
Herbert Miss Nellie - Dressmaker
Holmes John Thomas - Blacksmith
Hurst Miss Kate - National School
Huskinson Fredrick - Beer Retailer
Inglesant Mr. William Harris - Bleak House
Inglesant Mrs. Mary Ann -
Jacques Miss Emma - Private school
Johnson Enoch - Butcher and pig dealer
Kinch Mrs. Hephzibah - Publican, beer house, King William IV
King William - Grocer and shopkeeper and sexton
Laundon Ernest Clarendon - Warehouseman
Leslie Walter William - Saddler ; & at Loughborough
Lonsdale (Hugh Cecil) Earl of - The Cottage, Church Hill and Carlton House Terrace 14 Pall Mall, London
Lovett Charles - Carrier, to Loughboro'. Daily
Lucas Mrs. Fanny - China Dealer
Lucas Thomas - Jun. General Dealer & Watch Maker
Martin Henry - Cottager and cow keeper & beer house, Blacksmith's Arms
Martin Israel - Draper and bricklayer
Martin John - Clock & Watch Maker
Martin Miss Thirza - Dressmaker
Martin Mrs. Maria - Draper and fancy draper
McAlpin Kenneth - Solicitor, Leicester
Mee Charles - Foreman
Middleton Robert - Hair Dresser
Millis Mr. Samuel - The Elms, publican, victualler, Bull's Head
Mills Anthony - Agent Refuge Assur Co.
Moss John - Farmer, grazier & butcher, Quorn Fields
Needham Joseph Cooper - Publican, beer house, Royal Oak
North Thomas - Grocer and shopkeeper and tallow chandler, Post Office
Paget William - Grocer and Shopkeeper
Painter Mrs. Elizabeth -
Pares Mrs. Murial Lillian - The Cottage
Parker Christopher Theophilus esq. J.P. - Quorn Lodge
Pearce William - Contractor's foreman
Pepper Thomas - Farmer, grazier and coal dealer
Priestley George - Grocer and shopkeeper and lamp and oil dealer
Priestley George - General Dealer
Quorn & Mountsorrel Gas Company - James Camm (manager)
Quorn Co-op. and Provident Society - Draper
Quorn Co-op. Provident Society - Grocer and shopkeeper, Henry Disney, sec.; Harry Wilkinson, manager
Quorn Village Hall Co. Limited - G. White, secretary, Rose Cottage
Revell Mrs. Emma - Dressmaker and milliner
Richardson William - Butcher,farmer and grazier
Robinson Mr. James Royland -
Rue Mrs. Ann - Grocer and Shopkeeper
Rumbsy James - Publican, victualler, White Hart
Sanders John - Joiner, builder and timber merchant and saw mill proprietor
Sault Alfred - Publican, victualler, White Horse
Scott Thomas - Chimney Sweeper
Shenton Thomas - Clerk
Simpson William - Butcher (Thomas Holmes, manager); & at Mountsorrel
Smith Miss Vera - Dressmaker
Smith Misses Maria and Lucy -
Squire Archibald - Gardener at The Hall
Stephens Richard Joseph - Architect
Super Mrs. Jemima - Vine House
Swain Miss Annie - Dressmaker
Swain William Yalding - Painter & Gravestone Cutter
The Rawlins School - E.W. Hensman M.A., Headmaster
Thompson Miss Ada - Dressmaker
Thompson Mr. Robert - New Quorn House
Thornton Mrs. Harriet - Dressmaker
Thornton William - Draper and tailor
Turner William - Manager at Wright & Sons
Unitt James Arthur - Surgeon
VILLAGE HALL Co. - Geo. White, Sec
Waddington Mrs. Emma - Baker
Walton Milton - Second Master of Rawlins School
Ward John - Farmer, grazier and hay and straw dealer
Ward John - Coal & lime merchant
Warner Edward Handley Esq J.P. - Quorn Hall
Webster Thomas - Baker
Webster William - Grocer and shopkeeper and baker
White George - Clerk to Local Board & Secretary to Village Hall
White John - Surveyor
Whittle William - Farmer and Grazier
Wilders Mrs. Elizabeth - Furniture Dealer
Wilkinson Miss Selina - Grocer and Shopkeeper
Wilkinson Stephen - Cottager, cow keeper and shopkeeper
Wisehall John Buxton - Grocer and shopkeeper and confectioner
Woodward Mr. John Hawkes - Westfield House
Wright James - M. Wright & Sons
Wright M. & Sons - Elastic Web Mfrs
Wright Mrs. Catherine -
Wright Philip - M. Wright & Sons
Wright William - M. Wright & Sons, home Loughborough Road
Wykes Mrs. Sarah - Midwife
York John - Carrier, to Loughboro'. M., W., Th., Sat. ; Leicester, Tu. & F.

   
 Submitted on: 2022-10-22
 Submitted by: Gillian Ackers
 Artefact ID: 2507
 Artefact URL: www.quornmuseum.com/display.php?id=2507

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page