Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Tuesday 16th August 2022  

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Kellys Directory 1895 – Quorndon entries

Directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorndon section from one of the famous Kellys directories, ie for Leicestershire for 1895.

QUORN (formerly called Quorndon) is a township and civil parish formed out of Barrow-upon-Soar in 1868, on the west side of the navigable river Soar, on the road from Leicester to Loughborough, a mile south-west from Barrow-upon-Soar station on the main line of the Midland railway, 2 ½ miles south-east from Loughborough, 8 ½ north from Leicester and 106 ½ from London. in the Mid division of the county, West Goscote hundred, Loughborough petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of East Akeley, archdeaconry of Leicester and diocese of Peterborough.
The township is governed by a Local Board from 1864 but an Urban District Council of nine members has been established under the provision of the “Local Government Act, 1984” (56 and 57 Vic. c.73) . The village is lighted with gas by the Quorndon and Mountsorrel Gas, Coke and Coal Company from works in this parish, which also supply Barrow on Soar. Water is supplied by the Corporation of Leicester from temporary works in the parish of Woodhouse. The church of St. Bartholomew is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south or Farnham chapel, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells, five cast in 1773, one in 1777 and two in 1886: the chancel windows are stained: the east window being a memorial to Charlotte Elizabeth, the only daughter of Edward Warner esq. of Quorn Hall and another, erected by subscription, is a memorial to the Rev Robert Stammers MA, 55 years vicar of the parish (1832-1888); there are also stained windows in the aisles and the north doorway retains a good Norman arch: in the Farnham Chapel is a beautifully sculptured monument, erected by Sarah (Farnham), the late Countess of Denbigh, 1817, to several members of the Farnham family ; there are also two large marble-framed brasses with arms and inscriptions to Edward Farnham Esq of Quorndon, d 3 June 1775, and Easter (Lake), his wife, d April 1767; Ann, their daughter, wife of Noah Bolaine esq of Canterbury, and other children: in the chapel is a memorial window to Edward Basil Farnham esq of Quorndon, d 1835,, and Harriett (Rhudde) his wife, to their son Edward Basil Farnham esq. Of Quorndon, M.P. d. 1879, and their daughter Sarah Ann: here are also several ancient tombstones, the inscriptions on which are now illegible: in 1887 Mrs Farnham presented an organ, built at a cost of upwards of £600: the church has been restored since 1873, at a cost of £770, and affords 400 sittings. The registers date from 1576. Thomas Walton is mentioned in 1645 as “intending minister”. The parish of Quorndon was separated for ecclesiastical purposes from Barrow in 1757, the vicar of Barrow continuing to claim the freehold in the churchyard. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £132, including 61 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Edward Foord Kelcey MA of Pembroke College, Oxford. Here are Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Free Methodist chapels. Charities – Hyde’s of about £28 yearly is for clothing; the Town Lands or Unknown Donors’ produces about £150 and Thomas Rawlin’s about £70; Prior’s of about £6 12s a year is given in bread on New Year’s Day; Kay’s of 30s yearly, is distributed amongst 30 poor persons attending church on that day; Miss Farnham’s of £15 and Ansted’s of £5 13s are distributed in groceries. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of elastic web. Here are the kennels and stables of the celebrated Quorn Hunt, of which the Earl of Lonsdale is master; Melton Mowbray, Leicester and Loughborough are convenient places for hunting visitors. Quorn House, the seat of William Edward John Basil Farnham esq. M.A., J.P., D.L. is situated to the south of the village. Quorn Hall, the seat of Edward Handley Warner esq. J.P. is on the north-east. The Earl of Lanesborough is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are William Edward John Basil Farnham esq., Mrs. Perry-Herrick of Beaumanor Park and Edward Hanley Warner esq. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,990 acres; rateable value, £9,202; the population in 1891 was 1,888.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Herbert.

Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office, Savings Bank, Express Delivery & Insurance & Annuity Office. - Thomas North, sub-postmaster. Letters are received through Loughborough at 1.30 am and 7 am.; dispatched thereto at 11.30 am & 6.30 pm; dispatched Sunday at 1.25 pm

Wall Letter Boxes. – Leicester Road, cleared at 11.25 am and 6.25 pm; Sunday 1.20pm. Freehold Street cleared at 11.15am and 6.15pm; Sunday 1.00 pm. Loughborough Road cleared at 11.35am and 6.35 pm; Sunday 1.30 pm.

Urban District Council.
Offices, the Village Hall. Board day, 1st Tuesday in month
Clerk, George White
Treasurer, Joseph Kirk, Pares's Bank, Loughborough
Medical Officer of Health, Herbert Skipworth, L.R.C.P Irel. Mountsorrel.
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, Herbert Herrod, Barrow
Collector, James Camm
National School (mixed and infants), for about 350 children; average attendance, 75 boys, 75 girls & 200 infants;
Charles Adams, master; Isabella Corlett infants’ mistress

Carriers to :-
Loughborough – Charles Lovitt, daily; William Heaps Thursday & Saturday
Leicester – Crooks and Son daily & York Tuesday and Friday returning same days

Adcock Albert Henry - Grocer & tobacconist
Adcock Jonathan - Beer retailer & shopkeeper
Backhouse Henry - Plumber
Bates Thomas - Wheelwright
Bolesworth James - Farmer, Cheveney house
Boyer John - Shoe maker
Brown Oliver Stanley - Private resident, Wood View
Callis Jabez Joseph - Grocer & beer retailer
Camm James - Registrar of marriages, Barrow-on-Soar union & registrar of births and deaths, Barrow sub-district, collector to urban district council & poor rate collector, manager Quorndon & Mountsorrel Gas Company & insurance agent, Secretary to Quorn Building Society
Camm Joseph - Private resident
Chapman Charles - Farmer
Chapman Thomas - Beer retailer
Conservative Club - (George White, secretary)
Cooke William E - Artist, Brook House
Co-operative Stores - (John Buxton Wisehall, manager)
Cradock John Davys - Private resident, Quorn Court
Cragg Thomas - Saddler
Cross Charles - Farmer
Cuffling James - Coal merchant, The Wharf
Darker John - Farmer
Darker Solomon - Registrar of births & deaths, Quorn sub-district
Dexter George - Cattle Dealer
Disney John - Shoe Maker
Dyball Catherine (Mrs.) - Shopkeeper
Facer Frank - Coffee House
Facer Henry - Newsagent
Fewkes Benjamin - Private resident
Fewkes William - Builder
Hack David Smith - Boot & shoe maker & shopkeeper
Hack Hannah Mary (Miss) - Milliner & dress maker
Harris & Unitt - Surgeons
Harris Samuel - Private resident
Harris Samuel - Surgeon See Harris & Unitt
Hawker Miss - Private resident
Hayward John Alfred Le Mesurier - Private resident, Quorn Place
Hill William - Private resident
Hole Mrs. - Private resident, Quorn Lodge
Holmes John Thomas - Blacksmith
Horspool Joseph - Builder etc
Huskinson Frederick - Beer retailer
Inglesant William - Private resident
Jaques Emma (Miss) - Ladies' school
Johnson John - Beer retailer
Kelcey Reverend Edward Foord M.A. - Private resident (vicar)
Kinch Hephzibah (Mrs.) - King William IV. public house
Lonsdale Earl of - Private resident, Churchill Cottage and 14 & 15 Carlton Terrace, London SW
Lucas Thomas - Watch and clock maker & jeweller
Martin Harry - Farmer & beer retailer
Martin Israel - Bricklayer & draper
Meakin Wilfred Johnson - Private resident, Soar House
Mills Samuel - Private resident, The Elms
Mills Samuel - Bull's Head public house
Moss John - Farmer, Quorn Fields
North Thomas - Grocer and Post Office
Paget William - Shopkeeper
Painter Joseph - Private resident
Pepper Thomas - Coal dealer & farmer
Priestley George - Lamp & oil dealer
Quorndon & Mountsorrel Gas Coal & Coke Company - (James Camm, manager)
Richardson William - Butcher & farmer
Robinson James Royland - Private resident, The Laurels
Rumsey James - White Hart, public house
Sanders John - Saw mills
Sault Alfred - White Horse, commercial inn & posting house
Simpson William - Butcher
Smith Mrs. - Private resident
Super Mrs. - Private resident
Swain William Yalding - Decorator, painter & gilder
Swinfield John William - Boot & shoe maker
Tacey Joseph - Private resident, Verandah Cottage
Thompson Robert - Private resident
Thornton William - Tailor & draper
Unitt James Arthur - Private resident
Unitt James Arthur L.R.C.P. Edinburgh - Surgeon, See Harris & Unitt
Village Hall Company - (George White, secretary)
Voss George - Confectioner
Waddington Emma (Mrs.) - Baker
Ward John - Farmer & Hay & Straw Dealer
Warner Edward Handley J.P. - Private resident, Quorn Hall
Webster Charlotte (Mrs.) - Baker
Webster William - Grocer & baker
White George - Private resident
White George - Clerk to Urban District Council
Wilkinson Stephen - Shopkeeper
Wright & Sons - Elastic Web Manufacturers, Bridge Mill
Wright Fred - Three Crowns Public House
Wright James - Private resident
Wright Mrs. - Private resident
Wright Philip - Private resident, The Vicarage
Wright William - Private resident, One Ash

   
 Submitted on: 2022-06-30
 Submitted by: Gillian Ackers
 Artefact ID: 2499

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page