Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Wednesday 17th July 2024  

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us

Fire at the Manor House - 1940

Loughborough Echo - 26th January 1940


A dog gave the alarm when bedclothes caught fire in a maidís bedroom at the Manor House Hotel, Quorn, in the early hours of Saturday.

It appears that an electric fire was kept burning in the room and an eiderdown fell off the bed on to the fire, causing a blaze.

A dog was sleeping on the bed and its barks awakened the maid Miss Florence Hare, who ran out into the corridor and gave the alarm.

The Loughborough Fire Brigade was summoned, and in the meantime the outbreak was tackled with buckets of water, among the firefighters being Mr James A Hartopp, MBE., the owner of the hotel.

The brigade, who received the call at 2.50am., made a speedy response, and on arrival found that the fire had been fought to such good effect that it had almost been put out. They used first-aid equipment to complete the task.

The timely warning of the dog and the manner in which the fire was attacked with water undoubtedly prevented serious consequences.

 Submitted on: 2010-12-07
 Submitted by: Kathryn Paterson;
 Artefact ID: 1017
 Artefact URL: www.quornmuseum.com/display.php?id=1017
 Print: View artefact in printer-friendly page

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page