Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Saturday 15th May 2021  

The King William the Fourth Pub, Quorn

This photograph is lodged in the record office in Leicester.

The pub has since been demolished and stood at the front of the Quorn Country Hotel, just to the right of the house next to the village hall.

The pub was run by four generations of the Kinch family. The licence shows the obligations on Thomas Kinch in 1886. The building had been adapted over several centuries and roofing showed Norfolk reed thatch as well as Swithland slates. The interior contained several unusual features including a bedroom with a fireplace having a chimney one brick wide. The building passed to F A Stenson in 1933, and in 1956 it was demolished.

During the Secord World War it became a favourite meeting place of the American Airborne Division. At that time it was owned by Alderman F A Stenson who had his tables and chairs outside for the Americans to drink in the open air.

 Submitted on: 2009-12-17
 Submitted by: Kathryn Paterson
 Artefact ID: 687

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice