Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Wednesday 19th January 2022  

Quorn WW1 Roll of Honour - James William Dockray

Died 20th July 1918, aged 19

The Dockray family moved to Quorn from Bramley, near Leeds in about 1908. James William, known as Willie to his family, was the eldest son of six children of William Easton Dockray and Annie Dockray (née Duxbury). The 1911 census shows that they were living at 30 Freehold Street and William was a coach body maker. James William’s two elder sisters were working at Wright’s factory. By 1915 the family had moved to Meeting Street, and William, (James’ father), was running the Blacksmith’s Arms pub.

After war broke out, the teenage James William Dockray joined the 5th Battalion of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. He was killed in action in France on 20th July 1918, aged just 19. James’ body was never recovered and he is commemorated on the Soissons Memorial in Aisne in France. His death was reported in the Quorn Parish magazine in September 1918:
“We must once again announce with great sorrow that more Quorn men have been killed in action. James William Dockray was a Sunday School boy but a short time since.
Once more we offer to the departed our tribute of respect and gratitude, and to their mourning friends our sympathy.”

Unusually William and Annie had named both of their two eldest sons ‘James’. Their first son was James William Dockray (called Willie), who was born in 1899, and their second son was James Duxbury Dockray, born in 1902. The younger James went on to run what became a very well-known fish and chip shop in Quorn, next to the White Horse pub at 1 Station Road in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s.

1) A modern photograph of 30 Freehold Street where the Dockray family were living in 1911.
2) James William Dockray’s brother’s fish and chip shop next to the White Horse in the 1950s.

 missing information Missing information: Can anyone provide a photograph of James Dockray?
Please email us at: team2022@quornmuseum.com
 Submitted on: 2020-01-13
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 2320

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice