Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Sunday 16th May 2021  

Leicester Road – then and now

This view is taken looking from the cross, down Leicester Road. In the distance you can see the Village Hall as the road curves round just after the School Lane junction on the left.

The older photograph was taken in the early 1900s. All of the buildings in the foreground have gone and only the cottages on the left in the distance still survive. Interestingly, two copies of this postcard were acquired separately and although the same size, it was evident that they were taken from a larger picture, as one had less on the left and bottom, and more on the right and top. This version is an amalgam of the two and reveals the name of Waddington the baker on the right and two extra figures. It is nice to think that these may be Geoffrey and Clara Waddington who appear as the baker and his wife on the 1911 census.

The paler building on the left was the Mill House pub. The outline of the old roof can still be seen on the wall of Wright’s offices.


   
 Submitted on: 2011-05-12
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 1268

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice