It is easy to forget that our predecessors
had as keen an interest in the past as we do. This section is devoted
to the history of Quorn as others perceived it. Here are newspaper
articles written during the previous two centuries and also personal
recollections from villagers. Of particular interest are the memoirs
of Thomas Dexter, a treasure trove of anecdotes covering people, places
and village customs from the 1890s. You will also find here some extracts
from The Quorndon Records written by George Farnham, detailing the
dealings of the manorial and other courts dating as far back as the
Total: 21 artefacts returned
| A history of the Church Rooms written in 1979|
The history of the Church Rooms below was written by Jack Field in 1979, when the ...... cont.
| Quorn population statistics|
Quorn (Quorndon), does not appear in the Domesday book of 1086, but the existence of a ...... cont.
| An attempt to save the Hall on the Green - 1963|
The Hall on The Green
The building which was no 8 Station Road was probably at the ...... cont.
| Recollections of a Quorn childhood, 1947 to 1957 - by Bron Worsnip|
Bron Worsnip’s father was the Revd Leslie Worsnip, minister of the Baptist Church in ...... cont.
| The Reverend John Prior's charity|
Loughborough Advertiser - 17th October 1872
The Rev John Prior, by Will dated the 23rd ...... cont.
| T R Potter - Rambles around Loughborough 1868|
"Where is the village half such charms adorn
As that by Soar's bright waters - ...... cont.
| T R Potter - Walks around Loughborough 1840|
Had once the reputation of being the most extensively known village in ...... cont.
| A story about the village (or Swine) green from 1726.|
This article was written by the Reverend Foord Kelcey in 1908 for the parish ...... cont.
| History of Quorn Oddfellows - 1934|
Oddfellows' Centenary at Quorn - Loyal Blooming Rose Lodge
The present year witnesses ...... cont.
| History of Quorn Cricket Club - 1934|
Quorn United Cricket Club, 1899
The photograph shows:
Back row, left to right: R ...... cont.
| History of Quorn Hall|
A History of The Nether Hall (Quorn Hall) - source and date unknown.
It was not until ...... cont.
| A history of Quorn Wakes (as written in September 1935)|
The old village green at Quorn, where the War Memorial now stands, was in the past, the ...... cont.
| A peep into the past - 1936|
Loughborough Echo - 11th December 1936
The granite pit of Quorn
Origin of name of ...... cont.
| Lady Shelley's recollections of Hugo Meynell|
Extract from the Diary of Frances Lady Shelley 1787-1817
"Our acquaintance in London ...... cont.
| Plough Monday - an ancient Quorn custom|
Loughborough Echo - 15th January 1960
Twenty or so years ago, Plough ...... cont.
| The Quorndon Records|
Some extracts from early historical records.
In 1912 George Farnham privately printed ...... cont.
| A farm at Quorn 300 years ago|
by the Rev E Foord-Kelcey. Article written in 1908.
It is recommended that reference ...... cont.
| Stocks, prize-fighting, swimming in the brook and a strike at church 1928|
Loughborough Echo - Friday 3rd August 1928
Quorn is perhaps as well off as most places ...... cont.
| Once an old coaching house - Bull's Head Hotel, Quorn|
Loughborough Echo - 4th August 1939
In these days of ultra-modern stream-lined ...... cont.
| The Quorn Official Guide 1950|
Published in 1950, this is a simple document detailing the village of Quorn. It includes ...... cont.
| St. Bartholomew's Church|
The earliest mention of the Church is that Ranulf, 4th Earl of Chester left the church at ...... cont.