Quorn had and still has plenty of historic
buildings. Many of these are hunt related and served as permanent
residences or hunting boxes for the aristocracy. In this section you
will find references to important houses such as Quorn House and Quorn
Hall. We also include the more humble cottages, houses and street scenes. There are also articles and photographs of demolished buildings
such as the Hall on the Green.
Total: 273 artefacts returned over 3 pages
| Tower at the side of the Quorndon Fox|
In the back garden of the building that is now the Quorndon Fox, on the north-west ...... cont.
| Bus on Leicester Road, Quorn, 1910|
This fantastic photograph was taken on the east side of Leicester Road in 1910. The house ...... cont.
| Two buses at Quorn Cross, 1930|
A very interesting street scene showing Quorn Cross in about 1930. Whilst the quality of ...... cont.
| Sale catalogue for Four Oaks, 6 Loughborough Road (the vicarage 1945 to 2010)|
The house that used to be called Four Oaks, ie 6 Loughborough Road, was built in the ...... cont.
| A Cottage Yard at Quorn – then and now|
The colour washed sketch of a ‘Cottage Yard at Quorn’ was produced by local artist W E ...... cont.
| W E Cooke - A Cottage Yard at Quorn, in colour|
This picture, 'A Cottage Yard at Quorn', was by Quorn artist W E Cooke, but this version ...... cont.
| High Street, Quorn in the 1950s|
Two photographs of High Street, Quorn, looking towards Quorn Cross, in the 1950s, showing ...... cont.
| W E Cooke - A cottage at Quorn|
This picture was by Quorn artist W E Cooke and appeared on the title page of his first ...... cont.
| W E Cooke - A Cottage Yard at Quorn|
This picture, 'A Cottage Yard at Quorn', was by Quorn artist W E Cooke and appeared in ...... cont.
| Wood Lane – Lost cottages|
Some cottages that once stood on Wood Lane have been either demolished or totally ...... cont.
| Barrow Road, Quorn – then and now|
An unusual view from around 1905, looking down Barrow Road from the Loughborough Road ...... cont.
| The Wardle family, Farnham Street, Quorn|
Following on from artefact 1934, we have four more photographs relating to the Wardle ...... cont.
| 65 Loughborough Road, Quorn|
For many years 65 Loughborough Road marked the extent of housing development in Quorn on ...... cont.
| Floods around the White Horse pub, Quorn, 1986|
The first photograph was taken during the floods of 1986, looking up Meeting Street, ...... cont.
| Floods on Station Road, probably 1947|
The gabled building behind the lorry is the White Horse pub, on the corner of Station ...... cont.
| Floods at Quorn Cross in the 1950s or 1960s.|
Flooding at Quorn Cross was a regular occurrence until flood prevention measures were ...... cont.
| Quorn Cross in the floods|
It is not certain in which year this photograph was taken, but it looks like the 1950s or ...... cont.
| Quorn Cross, late 1930s|
Quorn Cross looking towards the Loughborough direction, showing the Royal Oak on the left ...... cont.
| The Royal Oak, Quorn Cross|
The Royal Oak pub is a familiar landmark on Quorn Cross. This photograph is difficult to ...... cont.
| A History of 27 Meeting Street, Quorn|
27 Meeting Street is one of the oldest properties in Quorn, and this article about the ...... cont.
| A brief history of Soar House, Soar Road, Quorn|
Soar House is situated on Soar Road in Quorn. Many of the large houses in the village ...... cont.
| The Mill House Inn, Leicester Road, Quorn, early 1900s|
To the left of the archway is the Mill House Inn, which at this time was run by Silas ...... cont.
| The White Horse, Quorn Cross, early 1940s|
This photograph from the late 1930s or early 1940s, shows Quorn Cross with the White ...... cont.
| Quorn Cross, the Royal Oak and the White Horse, early 1940s|
This photograph from the late 1930s or early 1940s, is taken from Quorn Cross, looking up ...... cont.
| Elms Drive, Quorn – then and now|
This rare postcard is a is a view down Elms Drive from Cradock Drive, looking towards ...... cont.
| Loughborough Road, Quorn, early 1900s|
Loughborough Road leads north out of Quorn, towards Loughborough. This view from the very ...... cont.
| Wood Lane, Quorn, early 1900s|
Photographs of Wood Lane are extremely rare and this postcard, which dates from around ...... cont.
| Meeting Street, Quorn|
As the years go by and as Quorn Village On-line Museum continues to grow, it becomes ...... cont.
| 65 and 67 Chaveney Road|
These two large semi-detached houses were originally called Westhayes and are now 65 and ...... cont.
| The Dower House, Quorn - A brief history|
Numbers 5 and 6 Dower House Gardens were once just one house. A summary of its long ...... cont.
| Picture by W E Cooke – Farm Yard at Quorndon|
The exact location of this farmyard is unfortunately not known, although it is in Quorn ...... cont.
| Picture by W E Cooke – Coal Wharf, 1879|
This picture of the Coal Wharf on Soar Road in Quorn, was drawn in 1879 by local ...... cont.
| Quorn UDC horse and cart|
This photograph was taken in the early 1900s and is an picture that the team have never ...... cont.
| Quorn Hall, Warden’s House - 1972|
7th April 1972 – Loughborough Echo
Quorn Hall, pleasantly situated on the banks of the ...... cont.
| Sale of Quorn Hall Estate - 1919|
Loughborough Herald - 20th November 1919
The valuable and historic Quorn Hall estate, ...... cont.
| Loughborough Road, Quorn - then and now|
This rare and interesting photograph has only recently come to light. It is an image that ...... cont.
| Richard and Sarah Ann Bagley, 28 Wood Lane|
This couple are Richard and Sarah Ann Bagley. Richard was born in Markfield in 1849, but ...... cont.
| Harry and Ada Yeomans - floods on Leicester Road in 1960|
The top photograph was taken during floods in the 1960s and appeared in the Leicester ...... cont.
| Quorn Mayday 1950s – photographs taken on Leicester Road|
This photograph is taken standing on the bridge looking down Leicester Road ...... cont.
| The back of Brook House, Quorn|
These rare pictures are taken at the back of Brook House in the 1920s. Brook House stood ...... cont.
| Sanders Road – then and now|
This area, between Tom Longs Meadow and the Bowls Club, is now the top end of Sanders ...... cont.
| The Elms, Quorn|
This house was known as The Elms when the photograph below was taken in 1916. At this ...... cont.
| Station Road, Quorn, late 1930s|
This photograph looking down Station Road from Quorn Cross is thought to have been taken ...... cont.
| Station Road, Quorn, 1909|
This particularly good photograph is taken looking down Station Road, with Nursery Lane ...... cont.
| 33 and 35 Buddon Lane, Quorn – now demolished|
This pair of semi detached houses were situated at the bottom of Buddon Lane on the ...... cont.
| Verandah Cottage, Quorn - then and now|
Verandah Cottage is situated at the top of Barrow Road (now number 3).
The old ...... cont.
| Loughborough Road, Quorn|
This photograph was taken in about 1910, on Loughborough Road, looking South, down ...... cont.
| House re-numbering certificate – Meeting Street|
As Quorn expanded over the years, some streets had to be re-numbered. This re-numbering ...... cont.
| View over Church Lane from the Church tower – then and now|
These photographs were taken from the top of the Church tower, looking towards Church ...... cont.
| View over Nursery Lane from the Church tower – then and now|
These photographs were taken from the top of the Church tower, looking towards Nursery ...... cont.
| View over Wright’s factory from the Church tower – then and now|
These photographs were taken from the top of the Church tower, looking towards Wright’s ...... cont.
| Quorn Hunt on the Little Green|
The photograph for this postcard was taken between 1909 and 1913. The location is what is ...... cont.
| Station Road, Quorn|
A everyday scene looking down Station road in about 1910. It is interesting that most of ...... cont.
| Quorn Hunt kennels, 1884|
An engraving of Quorn Hunt kennels from The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News ...... cont.
| High Street Quorn, 1944|
This postcard of Quorn was printed by Raphael Tuck and Sons, probably one of the most ...... cont.
| Station Road, Quorn, about 1913|
The photograph on this postcard was taken by F W Scarratt of Derby and the card was ...... cont.
| An attempt to save the Hall on the Green - 1963|
The Hall on The Green
The building which was no 8 Station Road was probably at the ...... cont.
| Quorn House|
Loughborough Echo 3rd September 1971
An important survivor of the Georgian period of ...... cont.
| High Street cottages - a view from 1966|
Father Time has left his marks on this somewhat gloomy looking group in High Street, ...... cont.
| Ivy Cottage, 1 Chaveney Road, Quorn|
It seems easiest to describe Ivy Cottage as being positioned at right angles to Meeting ...... cont.
| The Black Pad, Wood Lane, Quorn|
These photographs were taken in the late 1940s by Arthur or Doris Green, on the ‘Black ...... cont.
| Quorn Mills Bowls Club - Re-thatching in progress, 1961|
This photograph was taken by Roy Green in 1961, when the thatch was being replaced on ...... cont.
| Meeting Street in the snow in 1961|
This view down Meeting Street was taken from Quorn Cross end, with the former forge on ...... cont.
| Three generations of the Green family outside their cottage in Wood Lane|
This branch of the Green family can trace their roots in Quorn for six generations, back ...... cont.
| Church Rooms, Quorn|
The Church Rooms were built in 1929. The first picture was probably taken in the 1940s or ...... cont.
| The Old Lock-up|
These photographs were taken in the early 1960s, around the time that the public toilets ...... cont.
| Meeting Street/Chaveney Road - then and now|
The cottage on the left is now 1 Chaveney Road (Ivy Cottage). The Baptist Church can be ...... cont.
| The Banks Cottages, High Street, Quorn|
This article about the Banks Cottages on High Street,appeared in the Quorndon Magazine in ...... cont.
| Aerial view of Barrow Road and Howlett's Bus Station|
Howlett's Bus Company was founded in Quorn by George Howlett in the early 1920s. The ...... cont.
| Sale of building land, 11th April 1825, Sarson Street, Barrow Road, Loughborough Road, Castledine Street|
These sale details relate to the sale of building land in Quorn, at the Bulls Head (on ...... cont.
| Quorn High Street - The White Hart and Banks cottages|
This photograph is taken looking down High Street towards Quorn Cross in the 1960s. The ...... cont.
| The Hurst, Loughborough Road|
For the first part of the last century The Hurst (23 Loughborough Road), was home to the ...... cont.
| Quorn Cross, 1965|
Quorn Cross in 1965. Note the Post Office on the left, and a Howlett's bus on the right ...... cont.
| Brook House and its history|
Brook House stood where Hall Leys is today; this is behind the Memorial Gardens on the ...... cont.
| The Banks - Finette Webster|
This photograph of the Banks cottages shows Finette Webster, third from the right, ...... cont.
| Quorn's 'Monument' to close - 1963|
This newspaper article documents the closing of the notorious public loos which were ...... cont.
| Sale of Woodview - 1922|
Loughborough Monitor and Herald - 2nd February 1922
Now known as No 82 Leicester ...... cont.
| Thomas Webster, Baker, The Banks, Quorn|
This is a rare picture of Thomas Webster's bakers shop on the Banks,Quorn, taken in the ...... cont.
| The Gas House, 106 Leicester Road, Quorn, 1961|
This rare photograph of the 'Gas House' on Leicester Road was taken in 1961 by the Brown ...... cont.
| Quorn Hall - Sale of Earl of Stamford's Hunting Stud, 1863|
This engraving appeared in the London Illustrated News in May 1863.
It shows what was ...... cont.
| Quorn House during WW2|
This photograph was donated by Sheila Brewer who was a nurse at Quorn House when it was a ...... cont.
| Quorn House - the oak bedroom 1956|
Taken from an artile in The Leicester Graphic dated February 1956:
Appropriately named ...... cont.
| Quorn House - The Hall 1956|
From The Leicester Graphic - February 1956
Black oak is the predominant feature of the ...... cont.
| Meeting Street - 1956|
From the December issue of The Leicester Graphic. The large building on the right (Alma ...... cont.
| High Street - 1956|
From the December issue of The Leicester Graphic. The Methodist Church can be glimpsed ...... cont.
| Post War reconstruction - 1944|
Loughborough Echo - 7th January 1944
Quorn Parish Council - Post-war houses site ...... cont.
| Loughborough Road looking towards Springfield Lake - then and now|
The earlier photograph was taken in the early 1980s before the Farley Way Estate was ...... cont.
| School Lane - then and now|
These photographs are of number 9 School Lane. The older photograph was only taken in the ...... cont.
| The Broom Family on Farnham Street|
This is a photograph of Mr and Mrs Broom and their two daughters, Mable and Phyllis, on ...... cont.
| The Banks Cottages being demolished, 1970s|
These rather sad pictures were taken by Richard Thompson in the 1970s when the Banks ...... cont.
| Leicester Road - then and now|
The older photograph shows cottages and shops on Leicester Road being demolished in 1977. ...... cont.
| Floods on Station Road, early 1970s|
These two pictures of Station Road during the floods, were taken by Richard Thompson, who ...... cont.
| Dower House Gardens, off Station Road - then and now|
Dower House Gardens as we know it today, was built in the 1970s. The original ‘Dower ...... cont.
| Leicester Road, looking down towards the School Lane, 1970s|
This photograph was taken in the 1970s, looking down Leicester Road from the Cross ...... cont.
| Leicester Road, Wakerley Court and The Mills area - then and now|
This part of Quorn has changed out of all recognition since the 1960s.
The older ...... cont.
| Leicester Road, Wakerley Court and The Mills area - then and now|
The older photograph was taken in the 1970s when the shops and cottages on Leicester Road ...... cont.
| Going, going, gone! - Leicester Road cottages|
These cottages, shops and houses were on Leicester Road where The Mills flats are now. ...... cont.
| Leicester Road floods in the 1920s|
Sitting on the back of a Morgan! Leicester Road floods in the 1920s
| The Dower House, Station Road - then and now|
The Dower House, off Station Road was once the Dower House for the Farnham family. ...... cont.
| The Library at Quorn House - 1956|
At this time Quorn House was owned by Mr George Farnham and his wife, Barbara. The ...... cont.