This section includes a fascinating miscellany of artefacts including maps, plans, pottery, coins, tokens, river views, bridges and much more. Dip in and enjoy!
Total: 72 artefacts returned
| Letter from HMS Quorn during WW2|
During WW2 Quorn Hunt Pony Club sent gifts and letters to the crew of HMS Quorn. The ...... cont.
| Letter from HMS Quorn, 1941|
During WW2, early in 1941, young Betty Morley from the Quorn Hunt Pony Club wrote to the ...... cont.
| Leicester City Football Club at Quorn – well nearly!|
Leicester City Football Club were formed in 1884 and were initially known as Leicester ...... cont.
| Quorn Hunt Royal Doulton pottery|
Quorn Hunt was based at Quorn Hall in the village from 1753 to 1906. The hunt brought ...... cont.
| 1935 Silver Jubilee presentation book, Ivy Dean, Quorn|
In 1935 King George V celebrated 25 years on the throne, and as part of the jubilee ...... cont.
| Sampler – Rosanna Goulding, Quorndon, 1884|
One of the most amazing pieces of Quorn history! This intricately stitched sampler was ...... cont.
| Quorn Souvenir China|
This type of small crested china pottery was very popular for holiday souvenirs, in the ...... cont.
| Quorn souvenir china ribbon plate|
This late Victorian/Edwardian china ribbon plate was made as a souvenir of Quorn. There ...... cont.
| Quorn man in Kenya - 1928|
Loughborough Echo - 20th January 1928
After following this huge lion more than three ...... cont.
| The lost Quorn charity - 1774|
Loughborough Advertiser - 7th November 1872
John Willows, by Will dated 5th day of ...... cont.
| Quorn Co-op milk bottle|
A half pint milk bottle from the Quorn Co-operative Society.
Etched in red on the ...... cont.
| The new Cradock Drive estate - 1926|
Loughborough Echo - 3rd December 1926
The hollow square formed by Woodhouse Lane, ...... cont.
| Advertising Watch Key -Thomas Lucas, Watchmaker and Jeweller, Quorn|
This beautifully made little watch key is just 4cm (1.5 inches) long and turns smoothly ...... cont.
| Matchbox from the Pig and Whistle Pub|
The Pig and Whistle was a pub on Station Road in Quorn. It is now a residential house (no ...... cont.
| Vehicle accident near Loughborough - 1897|
Lougborough Herald - 10th June 1897
A serious accident occurred on Whit-Monday ...... cont.
| Buddon Wood burns for three days - wildlife losses feared.|
Loughborough Echo - 16th July 1976
Local firemen tackled their toughest job of the ...... cont.
| Embroidery Sampler - Elizabeth Mansfield, Quorndon, 1796|
This delicate sampler measuring 16 inches by 16 inches, was embroidered by Elizabeth ...... cont.
| Bus smash near Loughborough - remarkable escapes. 1930|
Loughborough Echo - 31st October 1930
There were some remarkable escapes from death ...... cont.
| The hunt is on for Rufus the pet fox - 1975|
Loughborough Monitor - 24th January 1975
Rufus, the hand reared pet fox of Mrs Lesley ...... cont.
| Correspondence from Thomas Towle to Lucy Facer 1968.|
I see by this mornings paper a record of Quorn. As a small help towards the ...... cont.
| When cows meet in the street - 1934|
Loughborough Echo - 4th May 1934
Two herds of cows were going home at milking time on ...... cont.
| Portrait of Charles Farnham|
This is a Victorian oil painting framed behind glass. The subject is Charles Farnham. He ...... cont.
| Hot cross bun - the oldest in Quorn?|
Loughborough Echo - 12th April 1968
When Mrs Elsie Pittam, of 22 Barrow-road, Quorn, ...... cont.
| Wooden Bowl from The Bull's Head, Quorn|
This turned oak bowl was purchased from a Sue Ryder charity shop in Gatley, Cheshire. It ...... cont.
| Quorndon shop token|
This is thrupeny token (approximately 1.5p) for 'General Supply Stores, Quorn'. It is ...... cont.
| The road from Barrow-upon-Soar to Quorn c1907|
Barrow Bridge (in the distance) is the end of the parish boundary. The photograph is ...... cont.
| Quorn car crash|
Monitor and Herald - 10th August 1933.
A motor car that crashed into a wall at Quorn ...... cont.
| Quorn Dog Licence 1882|
Issued on 9th January 1882 to Hepzibah Kinch, landlady of the King William IV public ...... cont.
| Quorn children 1925|
Loughborough Monitor and Herald - 10th December 1925
A group of children at Quorn ...... cont.
| Singular Announcement 1840|
Preston Chronicle - 10th October 1840
On Tuesday last, the good folks of Quorndon were ...... cont.
| Quorn china ribbon plate 1910|
This is a china ribbon plate, made as a souvenir of Quorn in approximately 1910. It is ...... cont.
| Quorndon to Quorn - the Name Change|
Derby Mercury - January 1890
This extract from the Derby Mercury shows acceptance of ...... cont.
| Santa Maria bridge on the Soar|
Loughborough Monitor - 8th August 1975
We received a flood of entries to last week's ...... cont.
| A farm at Quorn 300 years ago|
by the Rev E Foord-Kelcey. Article written in 1908.
It is recommended that reference ...... cont.
| Artwork discovered in Quorn cottage|
When decorating some years ago, Phil and Sue Child of Beaconsfield Cottage on ...... cont.
| Wood Lane, Quorn card|
Card illustrating a courting couple in Wood Lane. Nothing more is known about this card.
| Quorn Souvenir China|
This small pot is less than 6 cm (2 ½ inches) wide and was produced by Arcadian China, ...... cont.
| Quorn Specialties Ltd|
Quorn grocery products - and we don't mean the modern 'textured vegetable protein'! - ...... cont.
| Quorn Souvenir Jug|
This little jug is 7 ½ cms (3 inches) tall. It was made by the New Devon Pottery, Newton ...... cont.
| Quorndon Co-op Checks|
These checks (sometimes incorrectly known as tokens) dating from the late 1800s, were ...... cont.
| Quorn Pub Token|
This is a rubbing of a pub token issued by the White Hart, probably in the 1920s or ...... cont.
| Stream from Tom Long's Meadow, Quorn|
Builders break into the culvert carrying the stream from Tom Long's Meadow into Quorn ...... cont.
| Quorn Census Returns and Street Names|
When looking at the census records, some street names may not be familiar. Even where you ...... cont.
| Woolly rhinoceros discovered in Quorn|
Loughborough Echo - 18th August 1939
Now on view in Loughborough Library is the ...... cont.
| Howlett's Bus Company|
Founded in Quorn by George Howlett in the early 1920s. The bus depot, off Barrow Road was ...... cont.
| Clay Pipe|
18th century or early 19th century carved bowl of a clay pipe found during the ...... cont.
| Antique glass bottle|
19th century glass bottle found during the refurbishment of the War Memorial gardens in ...... cont.
| Roman coins|
Selection of Roman coins (Sestertius). Portraying the Emperors Pius and Hadrian. Metal ...... cont.
| Roman coin|
Roman coin (Denarius). Displaying the head of the Empress Faustina. Metal detecting find ...... cont.
| Roman coin|
Roman coin (Denarius). Reverse side showing an image of Romulus and Remus. Metal ...... cont.
| Frog artefact|
Roman artifact from the Selvester Drive area of Quorn. Frog - probably a votive ...... cont.
Roman artifact from the Selvester Drive area of Quorn. Goddess ? probably a votive ...... cont.
| Brooch pins|
Roman artifact from the Selvester Drive area of Quorn - Brooch pins. Metal detecting ...... cont.
| Roman spoon|
Roman artifact from the Selvester Drive area of Quorn - spoon. Metal detecting find. ...... cont.
| Commemorative token|
In 1789 the printer Robert Raikes started Sunday Schools in Gloucester. This coin was ...... cont.
| Children on School Lane causeway|
Children on causeway looking from School Lane towards the river c1920s. The granite wall ...... cont.
| New bridge on School Lane, Quorn|
The original bridge was demolished in 1897 when it became dangerous. It was rebuilt to ...... cont.
| Young Children c1910|
These five young children (c1900) dressed as was the custom. Girls frequently wore ...... cont.
| Constructing the modern footbridge on Leicester Road|
A 1675 map (Ogilby's) shows a bridge of five arches here because the stream used to be ...... cont.
| Children at play|
Probably taken in the Stafford Orchard. The picket fence follows the line of the current ...... cont.
| Children by the brook|
This lovely photograph was taken before 1897 when the old bridge on School Lane(built in ...... cont.
| Santa Maria bridge on Soar Road c1970s|
The bridge originally belonged to Quorn Hall and was used to transport the hounds over ...... cont.
| Demolition of Little Bridge on School Lane c1897|
Workmen demolishing the 'Little Bridge' over the stream in School Lane to make way for a ...... cont.
| Sketch drawing of Little Bridge on School Lane by W E Cooke.|
The Little Bridge on School Lane was built in 1760 and demolished in 1897.
'Old Bridge ...... cont.
| Old Bull's Head coaching lamp|
The old coaching lamp from the old Bull's Head inn in the High Street. Originally it hung ...... cont.
| Mill chimney being dismantled|
The last mill chimney in Quorn was removed in 1998. It stood close to where the current ...... cont.
| River Soar|
The river at Soar Road, Quorn about 1960. During the 1930's and 40's village children ...... cont.
| Glass pot lid|
Possibly dating from the time of Richard III due to depiction of boar (his emblem). Found ...... cont.
| Unknown location, Quorn|
This photograph might have been taken on the Quorn House estate. The arches are made from ...... cont.
| Stone well in Station Road cottage 1976|
This well was discovered in 1976 during renovation works of the cottages in Station Road ...... cont.
| Children sitting on wall|
Three children enjoying the sun, sitting next to the gate to the iron bridge near Santa ...... cont.
| Quorn's church clock loses face: Three-inch slip after 132 years|
Loughborough Monitor - 27th November 1964
For 132 years villagers of Quorn have been ...... cont.