In spite of the prompt action of a night watchman, a Quorn housewife, Mrs F Watkins (28), of Mee's-yard, Meeting Street, was severely burned when her clothes caught fire on Monday evening. She was cleaning the hearth at her home when her apron caught fire, the flames soon spreading to the rest of her clothes. In agony she rushed into the yard of her house and Mr William Walker, a night watchman returning home from his work, rolled coats and rugs around Mrs Watkins and put out the flames.
Neighbours tore off the smouldering clothing and a doctor and the Loughborough ambulance were summoned. She was admitted to Loughborough Hospital with extensive burns on the legs, arms, head, chest and back.
[Although gruesome, we have included this cutting in the hope that someone might be able to identify the whereabouts of Mee's yard.]