Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Friday 26th February 2021  

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us

The White Horse, Quorn

Owned by William and Mary White in the c17th and described as "all that messuage or tenement with the closse croft orchard garden 'thereto adjoining'..situate in Quorndon". The property remained in the ownership of this family for three generations and over a century. In 1781 it passed to a nephew of the White family, John Gretton.

In 1787 Mrs Elizabeth Laxton, widow, agreed to buy the property already in her occupation. Later Elizabeth married John Earl and it is in the conveyance of the property to Mr and Mrs Earl that it is described for the first time as the White Horse. The pub has frequently been subject to flooding and, in 1875 a man was drowned on the premises.

In 1878 permission was granted to build shops and three cottages on the site of the old stables.

Since this image was taken, the building has had mock todor cladding added in black and white, and the doorway shown has been moved around to the left side.

 view larger image
 Submitted on: 2009-07-19
 Submitted by: Kathryn Paterson
 Artefact ID: 286
 Print: View artefact in printer-friendly page or just on its own.

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 contact us

Contact Us
Have a query? Contact our team and we'll see if we can help.

 see our Facebook page