Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us
Copyright

Whites Directory 1877 – Quorndon entries

Trade directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorndon section from Whites directory for Leicestershire for 1877.

“Quorndon is a large village, township and chapelry, in the parish of Barrow-upon-Soar, and on the west side of the river Soar It has three good streets, one on the Leicester and Loughborough Road, 8 ½ miles N of the former, 2 ½ miles SSE of the latter town, 1 ½ miles NNW of Mountsorrel and about a mile W of the Midland Railway Station, at Barrow. The drives and walks in the vicinity are extremely picturesque, and the prospects from some of the woody hills are extensive and varied. Quorndon township comprises about 1990 acres of land, rising in bold and well-wooded hills, from the fertile meadows near the river; and had 1503 inhabitants in 1821; 1811 in 1841; 1622 in 1861 and 1516 in 1871. Many of them are employed in framework-knitting, &c., and Messrs. Balm, Hill, & Co., lace, and cotton tatting, &c. Manufacturers, employ here about 100 hands. In old writings, the manor is spelt Querne, Quernedon, &c. In1291, it was held by Philip Marmion; and the Beaumonts afterwards held it as a member of Loughborough. In 1393, John Farnham, whose family settled here soon after the Conquest, held for a chaplain in the chapel, 1 mess, 2 virgates, 1 toft, and 2 cottages. The Earl of Lanesborough is now lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to Edward Basil Farnham, Esq.; W P Herrick Esq., and a number of smaller owners. Mr Farnham resides at Quorndon House, a mansion, with pleasant grounds on the northern declivity of the lofty range of hills extending from Charnwood Forest to Mountsorrel, and on the west side of the village, near a rivulet which runs to the Soar. Quorndon Hall, on the east side of the village, near the river Soar, is a plain mansion of white brick, which was purchased in 1750, by H Meynell, Esq., the celebrated sportsman, and was long occupied in the fox-hunting season by the masters of the Quorndon Hunt; but is now the property and residence of Edw Warner, Esq. The extensive kennels near the Hall, are occupied by a large pack of hounds belonging to J Coupland Esq. Quorndon Place is the property of T Cradock, Esq., of Quorn Court, but is at present occupied by G Finch Dawson Esq. The chapelry of Quorndon was enclosed and the tithes commuted in 1762. The Church (St Bartholomew) is an ancient structure, with a tower and six bells and contains many monumental inscriptions in memory of members of the Farnham Family, whose great ancestor, Sir Robt. De Farnham, came to England with William the Conqueror. The north aisle was enlarged about 20 years ago, at the cost of £700, and a new Parsonage House, in the Elizabethan style, was built in 1837, at the cost of £1200. The church was completely repaired and restored under the direction of Mr Ewan Christian, in 1865-6, at a cost upwards of £2000. Several memorial windows have been put in, three of which are by Wailes & Son of Newcastle. By an Order in Council, dated July 30, 1868, Quorndon was separated entirely from the village of Barrow, and constituted altogether an independent parish. The living is a vicarage, which was certified at £12, and valued, in 1831, at £122, being augmented in 1728 and 1762 with £400 of QAB, and in the former year with £200, given by the Rev R Bewicke. The Bishop of the Diocese is patron, and the Rev Robert Stammers, MA, is the incumbent. There was in the church a chantry, dedicated to St Peter, and founded in 1328 by Sir John Hamlyn, who endowed it with lands at Wymondham, valued at the dissolution at £4. 4s. 91/2 d.
Here is a General Baptist Chapel, built in 1770, and having 600 sittings, and a large Sunday school room attached. In the village are also small chapels belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The former was much improved, at a cost of about £170, in 1861, when a new brick front was erected, new pews and pulpit fitted up, and the two old cottages adjoining and belonging to the chapel, were rebuilt. Here is an Association for the Prosecution of Felons; several Friendly Societies, Oddfellows’ Lodges &c.; and an Allotment Society, which rents land, and lets it in garden plots of 600 square yards, at low rents, to the poor inhabitants. – Gas Works were established here in 1853, at a cost of £3300, raised in £5 shares, and now having a capital of £5000, and the village is now well lighted with gas which is sold at the rate of from 6s to 6s 8d per 1000 cubic feet. Joseph Camm is the secretary and manager. Mountsorrel is also lighted from these works. The Reading Room and Library were established in 1854, and are supported by subscription. There are 30 members and Mr Tacey is the secretary.
Quorndon Charities – The National School was built in 1835, and the Infant School in 1836, by the trustees of the following Charity Estate, but they are chiefly supported by donations and the small payments of the scholars. An Estate, given by unknown donors has been vested in trust from an early period, for the support of a minister and schoolmaster, the reparation of the bridges, and the relief of the poor and now produces about £113 per annum. Out of this income, the trustees pay £12 to the incumbent, £35 towards the support of the schools, and distribute the remainder in coals, clothing &c. to the poor, and in repairing the bridges and the buildings on the charity estate. This chapelry is entitled to send six free scholars to the school at Woodhouse founded by Thomas Rawlins from whose charity the poor here have various sums, amounting to £40 a year, besides £2 for apprenticing a poor boy. In 1691, Mrs Margaret Kaye left a yearly rent charge of 30s for the poor out of her estates here, now belonging to E B Farnham, Esq., and it is distributed in bread on Good Friday. The dividends of £220.7s.9d three per cent stock, purchased with £200, left by the Rev John Prior in 1830 are distributed in bread amongst the most necessitous poor, in January by the minister and churchwardens. In 1827, George Hyde left £1000 for the poor; but it was not paid till 1838, when it was recovered, with arrears of interest, after a suit in Chancery. The annual proceeds are distributed half-yearly from among the poor of Quorndon, who have also a bible yearly from Hickling’s Charity.”

Post, Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings’ Bank at Mr Thomas North’s. Letters are received from Loughborough at 8 am and are despatched at 6 pm.

Carriers
Charles Marson to Leicester, Wednesday and Saturday, and to Loughborough daily; Charles Lovett to Loughborough daily.


Ackroyd Mr William
Armstrong Mr Henry
Bailey George Joshua - Corn miller and farmer, Quorn Mill
Barnett Samuel - Beerhouse keeper
Barrow Mrs Ann - Dressmaker
Bars Mrs Sarah
Bates Joseph - Wheelwright and inspector of nuisances
Bates Richard - Farmer
Bates William - Wheelwright
Beardsley William Edward - Solicitor, Soar House
Beck George - Farmer, Brook House
Bolesworth James John - Farmer, Cheveney House
Bradshaw Mrs Mary
Briggs Mr Charles
Brown Oliver Stanley - Publican, White Horse
Bruce James - Baker
Burton Mrs Elizabeth - Yewtree House
Callis Samuel - Grocer, news agent and beerhouse
Camm John - beerhouse, corn miller and farmer
Camm Joseph - Accountant, land surveyor, collector and overseer; superintendent registrar of births, deaths and marriages for Barrow-on-Soar district; secretary and manager to Gas Co; clerk to Local Board; sec to Freehold Benefit Society and agent Royal Insurance Co
Chapman George - Farmer
Chapman William - Red House
Chittam David - Co-operative Society grocery salesman
Cooke George - Confectioner
Copeland Mrs Susan - Shopkeeper
Cradock John Davys - Solicitor, Quorn Court
Cradock Mrs Mary Ann - Quorn Court
Cragg Edward & Son (Thomas) - Saddlers
Cross Charles - Farmer, Quorn Fields
Dalby William - Joiner, builder and cabinet maker
Darker John - Farmer
Darker Solomon - Grocer
Dawson Gerald Finch BA - Barrister at Law, Quorn Place
Disney James - Nailmaker and secretary to Co-operative Society
Disney John - Shoe maker
Dudgeon Mr Henry Dalby
Dunsmore Mr Richard - New Quorndon
Farnham Mr Edward Basil - Quorn House
Farthing Joshua Johnson - Tanner & leather merchant
Fewkes Benjamin - Bricklayer
Fewkes Mr John
Firr Tom - Kennel huntsman
Fowke Miss Sarah Ann - Ladies' day and boarding school, Elm Grove House
Gamble Thomas - Coal dealer and beerhouse keeper
Goode William White - Solicitor (Loughborough), Westfield House
Greaves Mr John
Harris Samuel - Surgeon
Hawley Mrs Ellen - Boarding school
Higgs William - Police officer
Hind Mr John - Verandah Cottage
Hind Mrs Maria - Soar Villa
Hole Mrs Harriet and Mr Henry - Quorn Lodge
Holmes Thomas - Blacksmith
Horspool Joseph - Bricklayer and builder
Inglesant Mr William Harris - Bleak House
Jenkins Mr Joshua
Johnson John - Shopkeeper
Kinch Thomas - Beerhouse keeper
Lacey Mrs Ann - Shopkeeper
Lovett Charles - Carrier
Lucas Thomas - Watchmaker
Marson Charles - Carrier
Martin Israel - Draper
Martin Miss Mary - Draper
Martin Mrs Elizabeth - Milliner
Mee Frederick - Farmer
Mee John - Gas works foreman
Messenger and Perkins - Plumbers & glaziers and at Loughborough
North Thomas - Grocer, tallow chandler & postmaster
Paget Benjamin - Shopkeeper
Phipps William - Parish clerk and sexton
Pickering George - Saddler
Platts Mrs Millicent
Richardson John - Butcher and farmer
Richardson William - Butcher
Rockley Mrs Mary - Dressmaker
Rowley Mr John
Rumsby James - Publican, White Hart
Rumsby William Lound - Assessor of taxes
Sanders John - Joiner, builder, timber merchant and saw mill proprietor
Sharp Joseph - Shoe maker
Sheffield Amos - Shopkeeper, ale and porter dealer and pig dealer
Sheffield Miss Hannah - Publican, Bull's Head
Sheldon Thomas - Warehouseman
Shephard Joseph - Beerhouse keeper
Smith Charles - Farmer, Quorn Fields
Smith Mrs Sarah -
Spreckley Mr Nathaniel -
Stammers Rev Robert MA (Vicar) - The Vicarage
Stubbs Mr William -
Supper Mrs and Miss Jemima - Ladies' day and boarding school, Vine House
Sutton Charles - Shoe maker
Swain William Yalding - Painter and gravestone cutter
Tacey Mr Joseph - Rose Cottage
Tacey Mr William -
Thompson Mr Richard -
Thornton William - Tailor and draper
Underwood Edward - Chimney sweeper
Ward Henry - Pork butcher
Warner Edward Esq JP - Quorn Hall
Warner John Henry Boyer Esq MA JP - Quorn Hall
Warner Mr Edward Handley - Quorn Hall
Watts John - Stud groom
Webster John & Co - Hosiery manufacturers, trimmers & finishers, Quorn Factory
Webster Mrs Charlotte -
Webster William - Baker and flour dealer
White George - Secretary to Horticultural Society
White John - Butler
Wilkinson Stephen - Shopkeeper
Winterton John - Bag hosiery manufacturer and shopkeeper
Woodrooffe Misses Eliza, Mary Ann and Hannah - Church Hill
Wright Michael & Sons - Elastic web manufacturers, Bridge Mill and Leicester
Wright Phillip (M & Sons) - House, Quorn Cottage
Wright Thomas & Joseph - Coal merchants and Leicester

   
 Submitted on: 2012-09-11
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 1680
 
Bookmark with:
Delicious Digg Facebook Reddit StumbleUpon

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view featured item
 view featured item
 view featured item
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 leave a comment

Seeking Information
Post your information request onto our notebook.

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page
 login / register