The two gas holders on the riverside at Leicester Road, Quorn, have been demolished after having been in service for over 90 years.
They were erected originally by the former Quorn Gas, Light and Coke Company, before nationalisation of the industry, at a time when town gas was produced at the station. Now that gas supplies are distributed from Litchurch through a giant trunk pipe the useful days of the holders are over, and they are just scrap metal.
The dismantling operation, using a tall mobile jib crane, has provided a holiday spectacle for many of the village children.
For more information about the gas works, their importance to the village and some impressive early photos go to artefacts: 1526, 1431, 1430, 856, 813