On Wednesday afternoon Mr H J Deane held an inquest on Beatrice Ivy Gamble, aged 3 years, of Castledine-street, who died on May 13 from burns. The mother, who went out to work, said on her return on April 8 she learned that the deceased had burned her leg but did not consider the matter serious. After eight days later, not being satisfied with the progress of the injury, she called Dr Strachan.
Ada Moss, an aunt who looked after the child during the mother's absence, said she took the guard from the fire while she removed the ashes from the fire grate. She was absent about a minute, and during that tine the child was burned at the grate. She dressed the injury. Dr Strachan said on April 12 he found a burn two inches in circumference on the deceased's left knee. It was properly and cleanly dressed, but there were symptoms of septic poisoning. Death was brought about by the burn. The Coroner found that death was accidental and that the mother and aunt had done everything possible for the child.