Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Saturday 19th October 2019  

The Pig and Whistle

The Pig and Whistle was originally a general shop which doubled as a newsagent and beer retailer. The lower façade was altered when it became a public house in the 1890s.

The 1901 census shows Joseph Briers and his family living at and running the Pig and Whistle. He was a plumber as well as running the beer house. He lived there with his wife Harriet, daughter Ethel, brother Allen Briers, sister Elizabeth Cuff and niece Dorothy Cuff.

Joseph’s parents Oliver and Dorothy were living in ‘New Quorndon’ (the Barrow Road area of Quorn) in 1901. They had moved to Quorn in the 1880s and at that time lived on Meeting Street. Oliver and Dorothy had twelve children, eleven of whom survived into adulthood. Oliver had been born in Shepshed, but Dorothy was born as Dorothy Adcock in Quorn. Her family had lived in Quorn for several generations.

The Pig and Whistle closed in August 1972 and reverted back to a private dwelling house. Sue Sharpe has told the museum that the last night was a 21st party for a girl from Loughborough called Bronia Starosta. The landlord at this time is thought to have been called Doherty.


   
 Submitted on: 2010-06-09
 Submitted by: Don Wix with additional information from Sue Sharpe and Michael Taylor (great grandson of Allen Briers)
 Artefact ID: 844

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice