Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Sunday 7th March 2021  

Postcard of the High Street, Quorn

This postcard shows High Street and specifically the old Bulls Head, ie what is now 18 High Street, the licence having transferred in 1939 to what is now the Quorndon Fox.

The photographer was William Shuttlewood (chemist) who lived in Quorn with his wife and three children for a relatively short period -from about 1905 to about 1909. However he obviously enjoyed photography and Quorn owes him a great debt for the wonderful pictures he took at this time. Many examples of his work can be found in the collection and his full story is told elsewhere on the site.

This postcard is unused, but we know it was taken between 1905 and 1909. On the reverse, someone has written:
Hairdresser Albert Bradley, Bulls Head Billiard Hall, Bulls Head Public House (Edw Lycett), Willm Shuttlewood Chemist

The Albert Bradley who was the hairdresser, is no relation (as far as we can tell), to Bradley's who currently (2009) run the grocery store in Quorn. The late David Matthews (whose grandmother was a Bradley), certainly knew of no connection. The signs in the window read:
Haircutting, Shaving and Shampooing
AND
Quorn Toilet Saloon

The stone bulls head on top of the gable can be seen today, although the 'Bulls Head Billiards' sign has long gone. The bow window on the first floor has also been replaced. The sign above the Bull's Head pub sign, says 'Free House'.
Timetables for travelling to Leicester can be seen on the wall of the pub and in the window there is a poster referring to pool.
Above the shop (far right), it seems to say 'Stationer Chemist', and above that there is a sign saying 'Shuttlewood'.


   
 Submitted on: 2009-07-14
 Updated on: 2009-07-30
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 244

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice