Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Sunday 7th March 2021  

Edwin and Sarah Gartshore, Quorn, 1880s/1890s

The first photograph is a studio portrait of Edwin Gartshore and his wife Sarah Ann Gartshore (nee Wilders). Edwin was one of nine children of George and Mary Gartshore. George Gartshore had come to Quorn in about 1860 as farrier to the then Earl of Stamford and the Quorn Hunt. Edwin followed in his father’s footsteps and was a farrier in the Leicestershire Yeomanry for seven years and worked with his father in a forge behind the White Horse Inn at Quorn Cross.

Edwin married Sarah Ann Wilders in Quorn St Bartholomew’s Church on 1st June 1884. They started their married life on Sarson Street and later moved to what is now 88 Barrow Road. They had nine children and had at least one grandchild who was older than their youngest son Harold.

Their fifth child, Walter Gartshore, died in WW1.

The second picture is Edwin and Sarah’s third son (fourth child), George Harry Gartshore with his wife Olive at their home 15 High Street. In front of them are the doors to Wright’s garage and to the right is the old Methodist Chapel built in 1822, which had a new chapel built in front of it in 1907.


   
 Submitted on: 2021-01-30
 Submitted by: Pauline Smith with additional narrative by Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 2434

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice