Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Wednesday 1st April 2020  

Quorn WW1 Roll of Honour - Charles Harold Adams

Died 13th May 1915, aged 29
Battle of Frezenberg, Second Battle of Ypres, Belgium


Charles Harold Adams, known as Harold, was the only son of Charles and Mary Adams who lived at ‘The Cedars’, which is now ‘The Red House’, 72 Station Road. The family moved to Quorn from Thornton in 1889 when Harold was two years old.

His father, Charles, known as ‘Gaffer Adams’, was the headmaster of Quorn Primary School from 1889 to 1921, and consequently the family was well-known in the village. Not only was Harold’s father a teacher, but so were his mother and two older sisters, Georgina and Annie Ethel (known as Ethel).

Harold decided not to follow in their footsteps, and in 1911 he was working as a clerk in the Corporation Gas Office. When war broke out he was one of the first to enlist, and in October 1914 he joined the Leicestershire Yeomanry. Early in 1915 he sent a letter to his sister Ethel, enclosing a piece of blue glass from a bombed Church in Rheims. She was teaching at Quorn Primary School and took it in to show her class, intending later to have it polished and set as a piece of jewellery.

Harold was one of the seven men from Quorn who was killed on 13th May 1915 at the battle of Frezenberg, part of the second battle of Ypres, in Belgium. His body was never recovered and he is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial at Ypres.

Below - A modern photograph of Harold’s home, 72 Station Road, opposite Stafford Orchard Park.


   
 missing information Missing information: Can anyone provide a photograph of Harold Adams?
Please email us at: team2020@quornmuseum.com
 Submitted on: 2020-01-13
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman
 Artefact ID: 2342

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice