Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Bus on Leicester Road, Quorn, 1910

This fantastic photograph was taken on the east side of Leicester Road in 1910. The house on the right is now number 76 and the one to the left of it is number 74. In the background (to the left in the picture) is the William IVth pub which stood where the Quorn Country Hotel is today (2017).

If you look carefully at the window of 74 Leicester Road, there is writing, which can just be made out as “Cadbury’s Cocoa” and “Cadbury’s Chocolate”. At this time there were many more small shops in Quorn than today, and it was very common for a shop to be run from someone’s front room. The gentleman standing in the front doorway is likely to be the shopkeeper, Henry Wesley.

John Bennett, who kindly provided this photograph, added the following detailed information about the bus:

Registration number D 4782. A Hallford-Stevens bus of the Loughborough Motor Bus Service, on loan from the makers from Maidstone, Kent. This ran as a trial service from September 1910 to December 1910 from Shepshed to Loughborough to Mountsorrel, and led to the formation of the Loughborough Road Car Co Ltd.


   
 Submitted on: 2017-12-05
 Submitted by: John Bennett
 Artefact ID: 1999

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice