Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Saturday 7th December 2019  

Golden wedding celebration for Mr and Mrs Leonard Scott of Quorn

Loughborough Echo 13th August 1971

A surprise party was held on Sunday to celebrate the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Scott of Mansfield Street, Quorn.

The party was arranged by their daughter, Mrs. Irene Bishop, of Quorn (at whose home it was held) and son, Mr. Clifford Scott of Barrow.

Mr. and Mrs. Scott were married on 25th July 1921 at St. John’s Church, Carrington, Nottingham.

They first met in the days of silent films when Mrs. Scott was an accompanist and Mr. Scott was a projection manager.

Later he went into the building trade and, something little known locally, built the first six houses in Leicester Road, Quorn, next to the cemetery – in fact, this was the reason the couple first moved to Quorn in 1938.

During the First World War Mr. Scott served in the Royal Flying Corps.

Mr. Scott is well-known in musical circles, having played the piano each week for three schools in Loughborough and St. Bartholomew’s School, Quorn, and at evening classes for country dancing and keep fit at Quorn Community College.

Mr. Scott was born in Leicester and Mrs. Scott in Nottingham. Most of their leisure time is spent at Felixstowe, where they have just returned from a month’s holiday.

They received many cards and presents from relatives and friends.

Note: It is interesting that a golden wedding celebration made the news. As people live longer, it is now usually only diamond weddings that reach the newspapers

   
 Submitted on: 2012-10-18
 Submitted by: Christine Sibcy
 Artefact ID: 1695

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice