Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Tuesday 10th December 2019  

Quorn Gas Works 1960s

Quorn Gas Works on Leicester Road (where The Brinks is now), finished producing gas in 1938, but the gasometers were still used for storing gas until 1966.

The snowy weather doesn’t seem to be any problem for this traction engine in the 1960s.

In 2004, a gentleman called Mr Kemp wrote in to ‘The Quorndon’ magazine. His father, Stanley George Kemp, took over as manager of Quorn Gas Works from Joseph Camm in 1919, when the gas works was serving Quorn, Mountsorrel and Barrow.

The directors of the works at this time were Dr Unitt, who was the chairman, and who lived on Soar Road, Mr Turner who lived on Nursery Lane (next door to the old telephone exchange), Mr H H Speight of Loughborough Road and Mr Dobson, a baker from Mountsorrel.

The works staff were Mr Jack Grisley(Greasley?), the foreman who lived in the ‘Gas House’ and fitters; Mr Walter Price of Leicester Road and Mr Samuel Trueman from Santa Maria Lodge on Soar Road. The stokers were Jack Sykes, G Gartshore, A Evens and Mr Williamson. The remainder of the staff were Mr J Smith from Leicester Road, Mr Bill Hallam from Wood Lane, Mr Eric Corah, Mr Reg Kinch and Mr Lawrence Larkin. The office staff consisted of Mr Wilf Bailey and Mr Reg Freer. Mr Cecil White who lived at Rose Cottage on Loughborough Road, was the company secretary.

Stanley Kemp oversaw many improvements to the gas works and gas supply in Quorn. These included a semi automatic charging machine for feeding the coal, a new governor house for the monitoring of gas pressure and gas output, two new gas holders, a new engine house and a new oxide plant for cleansing the gas. In addition, all the street lamps in the villages were fitted with automatic clocks, which turned the lamps on and off at the appropriate times.


   
 Submitted on: 2011-11-23
 Submitted by: Richard Thompson
 Artefact ID: 1430

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice